Scaffold maintenance

kaza

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is anything written down to state that you must maintain your scaffold? I am thinking in relation to metal testing to ensure that there is no corrosion.

Any info would be much appreciated.

As far as I know there is no set testing for steel, as I said on another thread it's all covered by before use. There will be however plenty written that if your gear is any less than apple pie order they will hang you from the roof tops. Another thing to remember there are others who will soon test your gear should some of it fail, again to hang you from the roof tops.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Either way someone is getting hung.:D

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Fit for purpose is another good one.

Don't know about tube, but what we pay the yard lads for checking the fittings, oil & paint, its cheaper to buy new:nuts:

Must admit Hatterscaff, I have often thought that as well.

Jason will love this.:amuse:

Thanks for that. The problem I have is that our kwik stage is roughly 20yrs old and never been checked! A hole appeared as the scaffolder was dismantling it, hence my query.

Bin it.

Quick stage is the worst for it, seen a 4ft ledger bend once when the brickies used it to bang a mixer.

There are plenty firms that can re-furb yellow jelly but you can usually pick it up for a reasonable cost.

yellow jelly , your having a fooking laugh arent you , surely nobody still uses that sh1t.i honestly thought it had all been weighed in . just the odd brickie using it to do his own

yea iv,e seen some right piles of scrap on some self builds,the yellow peril rusts from the inside with it it being mild steel,and covered in paint,so any weak spots are hard to see.:suspicious:

allan, yellow jelly is alive and kicking north of the border. Every where you look there seems to be some somewhere and not just the little guy either, plenty bigger jobs standing in and around our cities.

The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998

5.—(1) Every employer shall ensure that work equipment is maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair.
(2) Every employer shall ensure that where any machinery has a maintenance log, the log is kept up to date.

Inspection

6.—(1) Every employer shall ensure that, where the safety of work equipment depends on the installation conditions, it is inspected—

(a)after installation and before being put into service for the first time; or.

(b)after assembly at a new site or in a new location,.

to ensure that it has been installed correctly and is safe to operate.

(2) Every employer shall ensure that work equipment exposed to conditions causing deterioration which is liable to result in dangerous situations is inspected—

(a)at suitable intervals; and.

(b)each time that exceptional circumstances which are liable to jeopardise the safety of the work equipment have occurred,.

to ensure that health and safety conditions are maintained and that any deterioration can be detected and remedied in good time.

(3) Every employer shall ensure that the result of an inspection made under this regulation is recorded and kept until the next inspection under this regulation is recorded.

(4) Every employer shall ensure that no work equipment—

(a)leaves his undertaking; or.

(b)if obtained from the undertaking of another person, is used in his undertaking,.

unless it is accompanied by physical evidence that the last inspection required to be carried out under this regulation has been carried out.

(5) This regulation does not apply to—

(a)a power press to which regulations 32 to 35 apply;.

(b)a guard or protection device for the tools of such power press;.

(c)work equipment for lifting loads including persons;.

(d)winding apparatus to which the Mines (Shafts and Winding) Regulations 1993(1) apply;.

(e)work equipment required to be inspected by regulation 29 of the Construction (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1996(2).

As Ian has correctly pointed out you are responsible for the condition of your equipment.
Quick Stage is in mass use in the noth and is NOTORIOUS for rust, Quick Stage rusts from the inside out so the rust is somewhat un noticed until too late. Allan666 had it almost right when he refered to weighing it in, If you are concerned take a selection of your kit and get it weighed compare to the stated product weight. This may give a clue to your position.

Tube and Fittings lads you cant go wrong , a nice mixed load and you can get around anything

The lads are right if you think it is dodgy weigh it in ,if you want a new system scaffold personally I think layer is your best bet .

After pipes and planks the best system is Van Thiel from Holland, maximum length of tube 13 foot and no sleeves/joints to contend with

Top Bottom