Scaffold Inspections

T.ANIMAL

Reaction score
Is there anywhere written about inspecting fittings on scaffolds, visually and physically, what percentage on a 7 day inspection or after adverse weather. Can't find any literature on it anywhere. Thanks for any help my brothers.:bigsmile:

The only thing is,if its top lift boarded, as a inspector you can't be climbing all over a dummy lift, so is it just a visual check, and physical check on the fully boarded handrailed lift. Need to quote some sort of facts and figures to a picky safety officer.

I have seen some sort of guidance. 30% of fittings should be physically checked seems to stick in my mind for some reason. My inspectors have to wear a tool belt with spanner so they can physically check some fittings.

With only a top boarded lift it makes a mockery of it. how about a multi lift loading bay?

I normally carry a spanner when inspecting, have a tap on ledgers here and there loose fitiings give off a sound to the practiced ear.If I hear the "clunk" I am in search of loose fittings and will test a few for tightness.If a proportion fail the "tightness test"I would advise client to do a 100% test of the fittings.

Never come across anything in writing as to any % of fittings to be physically tested.Unlike tie testing.

HSWT.."With only a top boarded lift it makes a mockery of it. how about a multi lift loading bay?"

In a nutshell we are on the way to all scaffold structures being fully boarded, Unless a visual inspection is deemed to be sufficient.:wondering:

I agree with rigger,i can often be seen kicking braced standards and listening for the telltale sound of a loose fitting,you can soon zoom into them with a trained ear;)

Yeah I know, I'm often hunting round like a pig sniffing for a truffle. "Hit it again John, it's over here somewhere" Once found it's "See, that's experience that John, knew it was over here"

nothing in the regs, a 7 day inspection is visual only.
however we have been asked to do physical checks, so get the mewps, yellow spray paint and the clients cheque book out:blink1:

Sounds about right, your average HSE inspector won't go on to a job even if he accepts it.

Top Bottom