Scaffold inspections

leeroy

Reaction score
Hi can anybody answer this question for me. The scaffolder who erects the scaffold can he then do the weekly inspection on it & sign the tag .regards

Hi Leeroy, I am surprised no body has answered this for you before now, but yes they can sign the tag as long as he is qualified to build it he is qualified to sign it.

Yes he can so he has no excuses as its a legal document

Third party inspections always carry more weight in a court of law.

Should a scaffolder take on the responsibility of inspecting scaffolding ?

I think not, Scaffolders these days have enough on thier plates complying with all the regulations heaped upon them without having to "sign off" structures as safe.

Before signing documentation as to the "safety" of a structure I would advise that you obtain "Professional Indemnity Insurance" to cover your *rse, in the case of any NEGLIGENCE procedures being taken against you.

Make no mistake your employer will state,in the case of any accidents,
that it was you who signed off the structure as safe for use

But its only safe or fit for use when you sign it Rigger , anything that changes after you have left it is not down to you , which is why i always list everything on the inspection sheet no matter who it upsets.

Either way, the man asked if you could and you can. If the gaffer can turn round and blame you for signing an unsafe job off why not for building it unsafely in the first place, what's the difference?

Top Bottom