Scaffold Earthing

eldumbo

Reaction score
I've just had a builder on the phone in a panic asking if the scaffold needs to be earthed. Apparently the architect has sent him a load of things he has to comply with before we can start.
The scaffolding is on a church in very rural wales its approx 4m high and is for roof repairs.
To me the architect seems to be going over the top as hes also asked for herrace fencing and foam all the way round.( it took me nearly 2hrs to even find the empty church)

Does anyone know much about what needs to be done because i've never heard of it before?

yep mate weve been there too. earth was done by an electrision and we billed them for it, and stuck £50 notes on then smiled all done.

we just used a qualified guy. he did the paper work and billed us we billed them with the extra £50 notes mate. easy money

Some companies insist on the scaffold being earthed , just get an electrician to to do it for you and stick on 20 % , happy days :)

We usual smack a 3ft into the ground & attach it to a standard with a pressed steel fitting.:laugh:

You can buy a earthing rod from Screwfix and drive it into the ground and attach with a jubilee clip and a short bit of neutral wire to a standard

Only ever came across this when we were doing work for the old CEGB,on line crossing works when we were on power station property.

Copper rod driven into ground about 5 foot each end and connected to scaffold

Once stripped a scaffold that had been hit by lightning all the boards had burnt indentations about half an inch deep where they rested on the transoms

Surely if you just stick the braces in the ground then its earthed..

But you probably need an sparkey to sign it off..

Top Bottom