Scaffold Boss from Jarrow

andyf8686

Reaction score
Good luck John only one thing i can say is you have all ways taken the fight to them and a man of prinsables

A BANKRUPT former scaffolding company boss who caused almost £160,000 damage after smashing his lorry into the headquarters of South Tyneside Homes, today vowed to rebuild his life after receiving a suspended prison sentence.

John Robertson, 44, drove his 22ft lorry into Strathmore House, at Jarrow’s Viking Industrial Park, on March 20, demolishing much of the entrance to the building.

The offence followed a contract row between housing bosses and Robertson, who later filed for bankruptcy, with debts of about £1.3m.

But despite receiving a 40-week prison term, suspended for two years, at Newcastle Crown Court this week, Robertson today told the Gazette he was planning to relaunch his business career as a sole trader.

Robertson, of York Avenue, Jarrow, who admitted criminal damage, said: “I’m just so relieved, for myself and my family, that I didn’t go to jail – which was what I was expecting, if I’m honest.

“I cannot be in charge of a limited company again, because I’m bankrupt, but I can be a sole trader.

“I’m going to start right from the bottom and carry out work such as scaffolding inspection, roofing or whatever work I can find.

“I will never get back to where I was with my business, but at least I can work again, with the support of some good friends.”

Robertson, who was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid community service and made the subject of a one-year supervision order, recently saw his life and business crash around him, including bankruptcy and an impending divorce.

Until a few months ago, he employed 20 staff at Robertson Scaffolding at Wagonway Industrial Estate, Hebburn.

But his business has been dissolved and he admits his marriage is over.

Robertson said he “regrets” his actions against South Tyneside Homes, adding: “I have no bad feelings against the housing people and would even be willing to do business with them again.

“I think the judge must have taken all my problems into account when he sentenced me. Plus, there was no request for compensation, presumably because I’m bankrupt.”

While awaiting sentence, Robertson received 767 votes after standing as an Independent candidate for the Primrose ward in Jarrow at the May local elections, and plans to continue campaigning to become a South Tyneside councillor.

South Tyneside Homes today declined to comment.

Email to a friend Print this page
Comments
There are 14 comments to this article
Order by:
Newest first|Oldest first
Page 1 of 3123Next >Show all
tynesider
Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 02:37 AM
It is indeed very difficult times we are going through especially for small to medium sized businesses . With thanks to central government for sending out hundreds of foot soldiers to collect even more taxes , charges and penalties to line the pockets of the rich , the true grafters of society suffer whilst the corrupt sneak through the gaps.I have no confidence in this selfish sneak thief government , take take take . Heres me thinking slavery was abolished in 1833.... well its back in fashion thanks to the condem government.......General election now please before we are killed off..

brybhoy1888
Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 12:40 AM
This fella does desereve a ''Payout'' for the rubbish he has probably put up with the council as there not the fastest of paying customers ,as i have done roofs all ma days your scaffolders come first as your council bloke wont let you even go up a ladder more than about a metre. Health & saftey bull all the time,plus there are no contracts anymore and the whole constuction side of life has sunk completly,but look what this guy done is without right in every - way as obviously the great (BOGUS) COUNCIL WERE PROBABLY AT IT AND HE REVERSED HIS GOOD TRUCK RIGHT IN TO THERE OFFICE -GO ON JUSTICE DONE......CHEERS MATE .

stevehar
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Well theres one thing for sure, he cannot stand to be a Cllr for 5yrs because of his actions.

marco1234
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 09:16 PM
Agree hes a idiot and should be in prision for what he has done, seems STC made the right decision,you can not have someone with his frame of mind working for a public organisation.

Mr_RiL
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 08:43 PM
The blokes obviously a balloon - what if he'd hit someone whilst driving like a maniac into a building? Hope the CPS appeal and he gets sent down in a re-trial.

Order by:
Newest first|Oldest first
Page 1 of 3123Next >Show all
Your view
Please sign in to be able to comment on this story.
News
Local News
Regional News
National News
Business
Crime
Education
Politics
Health
Traffic & Travel
TOP STORIES
Laptop thief banned from Shields shops
Police spend more on overtime
Couple face trial over plasma TV theft
Manslaughter charge over Jarrow man’s road death
Jail warning to knifepoint pub robbers

Last edited:
Glad he did not go down,he was at his wits end I think :nuts:

He says "Robertson said he “regrets” his actions against South Tyneside Homes, adding: “I have no bad feelings against the housing people and would even be willing to do business with them again."

Sure mate go to the top of the preferred contractors list :bigsmile:

He has only done what the rest have threatened and even wished we could do a thousand times in the past, no consolation but well done.

hats off to you Sir....! we had a small developer over here, who drove his cement truck into the gates of the irish parliament (last year).... the public support he received was tremendous... he got off with it, with a warning of course... the working class will always be shafted... no matter where ya come from..

Ask all the lads who took there courses with him, but never got their cards and had pay NEETA to do the course again cos robertson pocketed the money if they think he's a hero. The blokes a grade A ****!

Not for a minute saying that's wrong gunslinger but how can you pocket the cash? I only get a payment once training has been completed and svq/nvq done. Could you not have applied for your own card after you did the course?

He took the money for the card, the training, cash to knock the VAT off, which was another £120 quid on top of your course. me and loads of others went back to work, kept getting promises of "yeah we'll sort your card out". Then he put the firm in liquidation and it transpired he'd pocketed the cash and never registered our courses.

Had to do the whole thing again.

Not so good, beyond me how some people operate.

He took the money for the card, the training, cash to knock the VAT off, which was another £120 quid on top of your course. me and loads of others went back to work, kept getting promises of "yeah we'll sort your card out". Then he put the firm in liquidation and it transpired he'd pocketed the cash and never registered our courses.

Had to do the whole thing again.

I must of been lucky then, did my Advanced in 2000 at ASTI, South Shields, my company paid for it. However, he lost my portfolio in transit (moving yards) just as well i had a back-up on hard drive. John was on holiday at the time, Andy, and a older guy were carrying out the training then.

Top Bottom