Scaffold as an engine hoist?

MikeM

Reaction score
Hi all, seems like the place to ask a question about scaffolding :)

I have a 3m wide garage and would like to mount my electric engine hoist on some scaffold poles mounted across the garage. The engine and gearbox weigh in at 225kg. Now I expect that a single pole 3m long is not sufficient to support this weight (unless i'm wrong?), so i was looking at using 2, or even 3 poles across and linked together in a sort of ladder fashion. Would this be ok to support this kind of weight?

Mike :)

stands to reason, kinda answered my own question!

Thanks bud :)

needs a ticket as well,....cant see how a ladder beam would work,would lie flat lol

Allan will PM you the drawing mate.:D

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

A frame either side.

aha so you didnt know the answer,lol. typical guvna..pass the buck..

aha so you didnt know the answer,lol. typical guvna..pass the buck..

As i posted A as in A frame either side of the ladder beam, like a Garden seat swing.An A-frame is a basic structure designed to bear a load in a lightweight economical manner. The simplest form of an A-frame is two similarly sized beams, arranged in a 45-degree or greater angle, attached at the top. These materials are often wooden or steel beams attached at the top by rope, welding, gluing, or riveting.

Because they have only two "legs", A-frames are usually set up in rows so that they can have good stability. A saw horse is a good example of this structure. More complex structures will have a crossmember connecting the two materials in the middle to prevent the legs from bowing outwards under load, giving the structure the appearance of the capital letter A.

There satisfied now........ still 1-1

aahhhh thats better...you added frames in after first post...As a 3 day scaffold inspector lol I felt obliged to question your advice to an obvious novice.....so is it cut and braced between the walls????

Top Bottom