safety in mining

superscaff75

Reaction score
just a quick comparison here :

scaffolders need more PPe and certificates to be able to walk onto site and do a days graft than almost any other trade i can think of.

yet there is 4 miners trapped 90 mtrs below the surface in wales yet there is no way of contacting them or alarm for them to let rescuers above know if they alive, what tunnel they in or anything, there is obviously no kind of emergency equipment down there for them like oxygen and masks etc etc oviously only one way in and out ( Ive put scaffold towers up 8ft wide with 2 access points in case of fire in the past ) not even basic pipe drilled down for means of supplies to be sent down if accident or anything.

Think they have found 3 of the 4 dead now, condolences to families and all involved.

GOD REST THERE SOLES
But there industry is a lot safer than our's and good leadership from the top no jumping training, no site manager 2 days course to sign off the shaft (in our case the scaffold).
Sorry to say this but we need a big job to come down in the centre of london before we get things sorted out !!!!!!!!

Yes we have all seen the dreadful news and myself being from a mining area my heart really goes out to all those families who have lost their loved 1's. I have seen on sky news that the goverment has promised a full investigation. I hope aswell. thats before I mention any safety stuff. It is clear that something wasn't right and that caused the chain to break. Costing lives.
S.G.

deepest respects to all involved,this is a tragedy but till the investigation we can only speculate.
it sounds like a small operation but at what price a mans life

i used to work down two pits near me like this one in news,never had any bad accidents,these lads new the risks entering these places,and accepted them,it can happen to anyone .the rescuers know there job,and they now the script.same as any job,there are risks involved.it is bad news when something like this happens,my thoughts are with them.:sad2:

My Father was a Coal miner, for over 30 year. the community i know are relocated ex-coal miners.

I can honestly say, The News of this loss of life, does have a tremendous impact, on the 'Village of Westerhope' where i live. So tragic, My heartfelt deepest sympathies to the families.

R.I.P Colliers.

A sad day, but why did the families of those who died have to endure the agony of the way the news was broken? One, then one more, then another... :mad:

A sad day, but why did the families of those who died have to endure the agony of the way the news was broken? One, then one more, then another... :mad:

All 4 of them dead now, what a waste of lives, im sure everyone on the forum would like to express their deepest condolences to all the families concerned :sad2::sad2:

Cant imagine how family and friends are going through.Deepest sympathy.

awfull day for the familys involved life can be so cruel at times rest in peace and god bless you all at this sad time

I have no Idea about mine safety or how it works but to the untrained layman it looked a small fragile shaft.

RIP and condolences to the family.

I have no Idea about mine safety or how it works but to the untrained layman it looked a small fragile shaft.

RIP and condolences to the family.

I have been down a couple of mines and never seen anything like that, it wasnt big enough to stand up and looked in a bad way, if that had been a scaffold the HSE boys would have been all over it like a rash

By the sounds of things it wasn't even that that caused the problem. Are they not one of the few industries more heavily controlled than our own?

I think this was a private mine aom and dont know wether the rules are as stringent, whatever its still a crying shame that 4 men lost their lives trying to earn a living

It's a disgrace GM, and shouldn't be tolerated. I would be surprised if private mine meant any different safety regime but it's possible.

it would be better and safer if the government allowed open cast mining to be used,but they dont want to scar the pretty hills,so men are forced into using this method of mining coal,it really is a safe way of mining.using wooden pit props is the best way,as wood creaks and bends before snapping,therefore giving you ample time to get another prop in next to it.steel or iron will collapse all at once.the pits i worked in had a man checking props and rails all the time,like a wheel tapper.ie.when you hit the prop with a lump hammer it will sound different if its rotting out.

Numbnuts,

I know very little about mining but surely under a mountain like this tunnelling would be the only way. I take your point though, the pretty hills and landscape is more important than life.

We have a hydro power station round here under a mountain but it's all rock and looks like the bat cave in a cheap movie but at least it can't collapse.

I have been down a couple of mines and never seen anything like that, it wasnt big enough to stand up and looked in a bad way, if that had been a scaffold the HSE boys would have been all over it like a rash

All the private mines in our area look like that, they will shovel out a coal seam lying on their stomachs in water if that is what is needed.

R.I.P.

this is were i used to work.like you said swifty.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lJctqbrIX0]Lancashire Colliers - YouTube[/ame]

with privatisation comes cost cutting and so it goes on.
no amount of hse ivestigation will bring the boys back.
the fact is that with the destruction of british coakl by the monster maggie,these guys had no choice but to go down there just to bread on the table.RIP

Top Bottom