Safe systems of work

simsafe

Reaction score
How close can you work to an open edge?For example an access tower is erected to a flat roof the top lift is level with the roof you then sail the stop ends into the flat roof to access the centre where you build a tempory hand railed section in the middle where the gear will be chained up to and the labourer will feed the scaffolders, you then use this to build your hand rails around the parimeter of the roof using restraint lanyards clipped on to the frame in the centre from the start you are never any more than 2m from an open edge is this acceptable.

How close can you work to an open edge?For example an access tower is erected to a flat roof the top lift is level with the roof you then sail the stop ends into the flat roof to access the centre where you build a tempory hand railed section in the middle where the gear will be chained up to and the labourer will feed the scaffolders, you then use this to build your hand rails around the parimeter of the roof using restraint lanyards clipped on to the frame in the centre from the start you are never any more than 2m from an open edge is this acceptable.

Put edge protection around the area your working in mate. if its a massive roof, just protect the area your working in, no need to protect the whole roof,

It usually depends on your lanyard. If you have a 4mt lanyard & 2mt to the open edge, that still gives you a drop of 2mt so you will then need a rescue plan & equipment with trained operatives in place. Inertia reels are the best bet for this type of work. Hope this helps. :)

I'm with jakdan on this one but I guess it's wrong when you are asking on here?:unsure:

why not ask a roofer, seems to me they can do whatever they feel like, but us scaffolders can't do feck all without someone saying it's wrong.

i think you can have a demarcation barrier 2m away from the exposed edge. Sure some H & S guru will put me right!!!!

When scaffolders encroach from a 'Safe Zone' to within 1mtre of an area not protected by guardrails they are considered 'at risk' and personal fall protection equipment must be used, SG4.10 Preventing falls in scaffolding, page 11.:)

Got to start getting out more:embarrest:

Top Bottom