Rugby cement works

That's true, I have just been told the same. He fall off a scaffold about 60ft up to avoid a falling lump of concrete from up above.......

tyssenkrupp palmers run that down there.

There were two lads involved 1 died RIP and Condolenses to His Family. the other is seriously injured Hoping He has a speedy recovery Both Lads were working for Cape,

BBC have this report

BBC News - Man dies at Cemex UK's Rugby cement plant

Man dies at Cemex UK's Rugby cement plant

A man has died at a cement works in Warwickshire.

The incident occurred at the Cemex UK factory at Lawford Road in Rugby shortly before 01:50 GMT.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said crews provided CPR and treated a significant head injury, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Cemex UK said the Health and Safety Executive had been informed and the company was co-operating with its investigation.

In a statement, Cemex UK said: "The cement plant is currently in its annual shutdown period for regular maintenance and there are a number of contractors on site.

"The deceased was employed by one of these contractors and is from outside the Rugby area."

A second man, 36, is being treated for an arm injury at University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire.

The company is one of the country's largest producers of building materials.

His name was John Altoft from grimsby only 32, worked with him a few times and went through our courses together, good lad very sad loss.

RIP John and may the other person involved make a good recovery.

I have no other information than that.

Very sad to hear rip and condolances to his family and hope the other has a full recovery

I work for palmers and was there today, the lad was from cape scaffolding, not sure exactly what happened they haven't really said yet until the investigations finished, really sad news though, thoughts go out to the family and friends.

RIP mate. Condolences to your family. Hoping for a speedy recovery for his mate.

heard about this today tay rail bridge also palmers job very sad news
thoughts to family rip

This story today has left me with a scaffolders tear. It's tragic to hear of such an occurrence. I didn't know the guy but things like this really hit home.

Maybe if we all did a 2 minute silence in respect of this and all our other brothers we have lost.
I hope his workmate gets all the help to deal with this and his injuries.
RIP brother !!!!

Worker killed at Cemex plant7 By Dan Santy 18/01 Updated: 18/01 14:09

A WORKER has been killed in an industrial accident at the Cemex plant in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday).

A spokesman for the Lawford Road plant confirmed a 29-year-old man working as a scaffolder for a sub-contractor was killed there at around 1.45am.

Emergency services attended the scene, and police officers and the Health and Safety Executive are currently on site investigating what happened.

Cemex community affairs manager Ian Southcott said: "Regrettably one person has died and our thoughts and sympathies are with their family and friends.

"Cemex is cooperating fully with all of the investigations taking place."

Mr Southcott refused to reveal any details about the accident while investigations are ongoing.

Paramedics arrived on the scene to find the man with a serious head injury and in cardiac arrest.

A spokeswoman for West Midlands ambulance service said: "Sadly, despite their best efforts, nothing could be done to save the man and he was pronounced dead at the scene."

Another man suffered a broken arm and had to be taken to hospital for treatment.

The cement plant is currently in its annual shutdown period for regular maintenance. There are a number of contractors working on the site as a result.

The man who was killed is not from Rugby.

Read more: Worker killed at Cemex plant | Rugby Observer

RIP and condolances to the family...

I know lads who worked this particular shut down and indeed attended site during my Xpress days (Bought out by Palmers) and they all tell me its fcuking mental whats expected in such a short time and the H&S is something to be desired....

Tradgedy :sad2:

rip thoughts go out to family n friends... no one realises how demanding and dangerous this job is but we always have n always will be put at the bottom of the list of trades... i think things need to change.

Top Bottom