rope and wheel methods

dangeruss

Reaction score
I went in with 2 of the lads today to help them out getting the gear up to as it was a bit of a struggle.

I set up the rope and wheel and tied it so it formed a loop ,i.e. a loop of rope with a tail about 3ft long to actualy tie the materials to. The lads looked at me as if I was some sort of magician, the idea being you can pull the rope back down when the top man has gone. I also tied a bit of thinner rope about 10ft up from the tail (bit you use to tie off).

When pulling up long ,tie off the tube at the very bottom with the tail of the rope on the loop and 10ft up the rope tie off the long again using a quick release knot or shoe lace bow. The idea being the top man gets hold of the tube at the top, undoes the first knot ,the bottom man keeps pulling and its about 100 times easier to get the tube up and into the scaffold.

Does anybody else do this or is it just old gits like me, is it common practice still or something thats forgotten these days, is it illegal now ?

yep its all about making your life easier

i dont think the new boys have used the rope much so havent got a clue on all the little ways

i use that method for pulling up long ladders or beams it works a treat , i always tie a light line just above the knot on the tail so i an pull the rope back down my self from the ground i just dont think they get taught these old school tricks any more mate :)

i use that method for pulling up long ladders or beams it works a treat , i always tie a light line just above the knot on the tail so i an pull the rope back down my self from the ground i just dont think they get taught these old school tricks any more mate :)
Do you use the old rag around the rope when lowering down the gear as well Phil ?

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Do you use the old rag around the rope when lowering down the gear as well Phil ?
Just tie the rope in a loop Phil you don't need the lightline thenl, its just a continuous rope with a tail on it for tieing the gear off with

i used to use a Hessian postmans sack and even put water on it if we were really busy LOL

i now tie a long butt to a standard and take a turn on that its good for standing 5s against as well

Loop a fitting about 3ft from end you tie on. sends the rope back down once the gear has been untied. Got spare nuts to add the higher you go.:nuts:

I hate the rope and wheel, only ever use it as a last resort. I usually spend a bit of time at the start or end of a shift and punt a load of gear then it's just odds and sods once you have started erecting.

rather have 5 labourers
im only 34 but i do remember what smokey describes

Whilst sauntering around a rather large job we currently have going up in the City at the moment, I recieved a phone call a gang who work working on the top lift directly above where I was standing.

"Can you do us a favour Phil? We need 1no 8.0m ASP beam pulled up"

I responded with the usual "I'm not your labourer" and the standard "I don't want to get my gloves dirty" lines, but then relented.

So, 55.0m pull - 8.0m ASP beam. Now, it's pretty hard to land an 8.0m beam redarless of steel or allloy, so I tied it off at the bottom rung with a clove hitch, ran the rope up to the top and did a reverse half hitch around one of the chords. Pretty simple and usual procedure as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, we got it to the top and these bunch of idiots (actually, they're pretty decent scaffolders - but not that good - obviously) did not have a clue what to do. After about 10 minutes and lots of muffled shouting they worked out to unhook the half hitch at the top and then let me gently pull the beam into the lift.

I walked away to quiet admaration from the self styled 'cream gang' whilst chuckling to myself about no*108 on the Definition of a Scaffolder list.

yep its all about making your life easier

i dont think the new boys have used the rope much so havent got a clue on all the little ways
true gus. all for makin life easier. nd a gud rope nd wheel does that,always carry 1 neva know when it will come in handy

I went in with 2 of the lads today to help them out getting the gear up to as it was a bit of a struggle.

I set up the rope and wheel and tied it so it formed a loop ,i.e. a loop of rope with a tail about 3ft long to actualy tie the materials to. The lads looked at me as if I was some sort of magician, the idea being you can pull the rope back down when the top man has gone. I also tied a bit of thinner rope about 10ft up from the tail (bit you use to tie off).

When pulling up long ,tie off the tube at the very bottom with the tail of the rope on the loop and 10ft up the rope tie off the long again using a quick release knot or shoe lace bow. The idea being the top man gets hold of the tube at the top, undoes the first knot ,the bottom man keeps pulling and its about 100 times easier to get the tube up and into the scaffold.

Does anybody else do this or is it just old gits like me, is it common practice still or something thats forgotten these days, is it illegal now ?

Whilst sauntering around a rather large job we currently have going up in the City at the moment, I recieved a phone call a gang who work working on the top lift directly above where I was standing.

"Can you do us a favour Phil? We need 1no 8.0m ASP beam pulled up"

I responded with the usual "I'm not your labourer" and the standard "I don't want to get my gloves dirty" lines, but then relented.

So, 55.0m pull - 8.0m ASP beam. Now, it's pretty hard to land an 8.0m beam redarless of steel or allloy, so I tied it off at the bottom rung with a clove hitch, ran the rope up to the top and did a reverse half hitch around one of the chords. Pretty simple and usual procedure as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, we got it to the top and these bunch of idiots (actually, they're pretty decent scaffolders - but not that good - obviously) did not have a clue what to do. After about 10 minutes and lots of muffled shouting they worked out to unhook the half hitch at the top and then let me gently pull the beam into the lift.

I walked away to quiet admaration from the self styled 'cream gang' whilst chuckling to myself about no*108 on the Definition of a Scaffolder list.

yeah use this method a lot landing long with no headroom etc.

Use to splice a thinner handline rope in to the gin wheel rope for tying on, or like you do tie a thinner rope on to sit above a knot, easier to tie on and braking the gear over the handrail, but unfortunately is now illegal the gin wheel rope has to be tagged and be 22mm thick.:push:

Top Bottom