rope access helmets

allan666

Reaction score
just started a job for isg and everyone working at height has to wear a rope access type hardhat ,there not fooking cheap, anyone else heard of scaffolders having to wear these apparently its going to be normal on every site soon.also they are asking for seat belt type retractable lanyards .I heard of a lad badly injuring his back when slipping and landing on his lanyard so not too keen on using them. :mad:

I've noticed more lads wearing these hard hats, it's usually the ones with ring spanners and mad, weird shaped hammers on their belts wearing knee pads with a bungee cord on their bead even though they're house bashing a bungalow.
This game's changed alright.

We'vs been using them for a while now -think its all about the 3point chin strap for wah,tbh yes they cost more but are a lot lighter & more comfy to use. It used to be just petzl on the market but leachs have their own brand now & also ventex make a model called graphite wind.

A basic pezel starts circa £58-£65
Leachs version £45
Ventex £35

All have EN&CE stamps but differnt internal head harness set ups

I've got the Petzl vertex, £53 but mint
Exceeds EN 397(which is our EN number)
Drops a 3kg cone shaped weight on the crown of the helmet
EN 12492(Petzl helmets)
They are tested exactly the same but on more points on the helmet
So exceeds EN 397

Last edited:
Years ago Some of the best money ive made was using rope access,but we,ve had to drop it due to the extra PLIcosts & tbh the increase outweighed the amount of rope work we did.

just started a job for isg and everyone working at height has to wear a rope access type hardhat ,there not fooking cheap, anyone else heard of scaffolders having to wear these apparently its going to be normal on every site soon.also they are asking for seat belt type retractable lanyards .I heard of a lad badly injuring his back when slipping and landing on his lanyard so not too keen on using them. :mad:
The last couple of weeks i've been on ISG jobs, yes they want Scaffolders to wear climbers helmets and use tool lanyard's, if you were in a boiler, or on a hanger i can see the reason, but normal site work.... c'mon !

Top Bottom