rise in falls from height

cozzy

Reaction score
Shock rise in falls from heightGrant Prior | Wed 7th August | 15:36

inShare.5
The number of construction workers falling from height has increased by 60% according to shock figures from consultants at the Building Safety Group.

The data is based on accidents reported in the three months from May until July by Building Safety Group’s membership of more than 20,000 construction workers across the UK.

Injuries caused while lifting, handling and carrying also increased by 37% year-on-year.

Paul Kimpton, managing director of The Building Safety Group, said: “While a number of health & safety areas have improved, the areas that are the most serious and cause the most lasting damage have risen.

“These figures prove that there is no room for complacency in construction. People have a right to go to work and return home in the same state of health that they left in the morning.

“However we all have a responsibility to make sure that people work safely, not only employers, but everyone on a site has responsibility to make sure that they are working in a way that is in line with good practice and good health & safety guidelines, and that they flag up anything they see that it dangerous.”

Talk to the Enquirer. To share your stories email Grant Prior or Aaron Morby... always off the record

I wondr what the safty gurus @ the nasc are gonna blame this on

It could be due to the fact that more incidents are being reported.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Scaffolders have always been a small percentage of those falling from height although it is more likely to result in a fatality or serious injury. Most falls from height will be from step ladders etc. due to contractors not wishing to pay for safe access platforms.

Ffs now the Nasc will probably add another lanyard to my harness!

It would be interesting to see what percentage actually involves scaff's,i would hazard a guess that it would be pretty low,as hswt says most don't involve us but as usual we'll get the sh*tty end of the stick:sad:

Again, exactly. Statistics are only ever as good as the collator and how relevant to us that is, who knows. If they are going to chuck figures about, a bit more detail would be nice.

I would think, the rise in the D.I.Y market over the last 20 years,ladders, buy yur own towers, falls have bound to have increased.

Heard last night that a scaffolder from Tone fell through a roof last week at Reading Station, I think he broke his ankles, maybe someone on here knows a bit more

it is sad in this day and age that any one is falling from height in the construction industry we have ability to put the safety measures in place
but while people think that saving money is a priority forgetting that safety should be top of the list it will continue
we see it all the time price is the what wins contracts even on the councils framework contracts

I've been spending a lot of time on the HSE website - researching H&S in the construction industry.

Sadly, nearly every one of the stories regarding accidents on site is because safety equipment is not being used, for whatever reason.

The construction industry is one of the most dangerous industries to be in. All of the relevant training hinges on working safely.

I ran a poll a few weeks back regarding training courses. Part of what I really wanted to know is if the personal cost (as many employers won't hire unless you have the qualifications or they are "operating below radar") inhibits doing the courses?

However, looking after yourself and others (even if they are a brickie) should be just something you do onsite, yes?

I've been spending a lot of time on the HSE website - researching H&S in the construction industry.

Sadly, nearly every one of the stories regarding accidents on site is because safety equipment is not being used, for whatever reason.

The construction industry is one of the most dangerous industries to be in. All of the relevant training hinges on working safely.

I ran a poll a few weeks back regarding training courses. Part of what I really wanted to know is if the personal cost (as many employers won't hire unless you have the qualifications or they are "operating below radar") inhibits doing the courses?

However, looking after yourself and others (even if they are a brickie) should be just something you do onsite, yes?

yes! apart from the brickie bit:amuse:

Top Bottom