Ridiculous price.

tokwitney

Reaction score
We've just received a phone call from a regular client to tell us we havnt got his latest contract. Its a block of four 3 storey townhouses in the centre of one of the Cotswolds most visited villages..
Our price was around £5K which we thought was not to bad as it involved 4 lifts,gables & chimneys & a loading bay.
He told us that he has had another price of £1800 & was going with that one.He also said that he wasnt going to ask us to match it as he knew we couldnt/wouldnt...
We laughed at the price & wished him well with his new scaffolding company & said we would see him on his next project...

How the hell can someone come in soooooo much cheaper & still stay in buisness.We should look on the bright side as there will be one less competitor soon..

FFS, I hope that is not a sign of things to come. I would say that will definitely end in tears either with the additions the scaff will have to charge or the scaff just going bust. Either way, not a good sign.

There is an indian firm going round charging silly little prices like above. As said many times before, you get what you pay for.

A story I picked up on a few weeks ago. A client went with the turbine firm for a temp roof. Not one of the turbine lads knew how to do a tempory roof and the scaffold errected was in such a poor state the client fucked them off and went back to the previous firm.

They had no insurance and not one lad had any tickets.

Its every were cheap price dont win get your jobs as good as they can be and go by the job that company is having for nothing and see what scaffold is up. Take a picture and put it on here. See how long they last...
As was said its only a matter of time dig in theres work out there for the right money mate....
Dont worry about somone else think whats good for you...

We have had the same, our client asked us to drop our price by 20%, my answer - i could do that , a wagon that might start, lads that might turn in and we will get there when we can. he went with the cheaper company , 2 weeks later he was back. Turnover is vanity - profit is sanity

Priced a mental health home last week went in at a reasonable price of £4950 3lifts all round in & outs people coming and going got beat at £2000. :cry:

There is a company around here that only put single handrails,no toeboards,sway braces & standards spaced around 11ft apart on all their jobs.How they get away with it is a mystery to me,but saying that they only do one off houses/roofing jobs & you never see a H&S officer round these parts.
I dont think its them that have this job but will keep an eye out & post any pics I can take on here..
I've wanted to take some photographic evidence of their s##t jobs for a long time,but its a bit awkward when you have to stop the lorry,get out & take a pic.I dont want to start any aggro with them.

Let them have it lads , we have that sort of thing all the time thay are very desperate and wont last long anyway. Trick is to stick your price ( as close as you can ) there aint no point in working for nothing as these idiots will find out.

Same here! priced a job 45K 44 weeks external double width, two lift shafts two stair cases, four loading bays, fully birdcaged. Concrete slab split level stairs to each split level, internals within the birdcages. Fully boarded five lifts + 6th lift of roof on penthouse with extra access points & extra handrails. Balconies three sides with progressive adaptions.

Client hot on HSE, step ups etc.

Another firm went in at 25K!!

Wages alone to put it up £19K!

Nuts:cry:

Ragscaff

There is a company around here that only put single handrails,no toeboards,sway braces & standards spaced around 11ft apart on all their jobs.How they get away with it is a mystery to me,but saying that they only do one off houses/roofing jobs & you never see a H&S officer round these parts.
I dont think its them that have this job but will keep an eye out & post any pics I can take on here..
I've wanted to take some photographic evidence of their s##t jobs for a long time,but its a bit awkward when you have to stop the lorry,get out & take a pic.I dont want to start any aggro with them.

i just jump out an take pics me , if anyone asks i just tell them i need pics for health and safety stuff on my website, i keep meaning to build proper website and have a couple fun pages like scaffolds abroad ( i take pics everywhere i go ) also a how not to do it page, i have a pic of a chap with a kwikstage tower in a tractor an trailor, he hid his face and run over asking what i was doing, told him website, called that pic NFU showcases all terrain mobile tower lol, i got pic of chap doing a stone house using the orange an blue factory pallet racking, called it multi task access platform with own storage lol, got a few saved up now, i just laff at them an they generally pish off while i get right camera angles lol

quote Superscaff

"i just jump out an take pics me , if anyone asks i just tell them i need pics for health and safety stuff on my website,"

You can legally take pictures anywhere as long as you are standing in a "Public area" ie footpath, road, public right of way (there is a ban on pics in the area near a court of law,but is seldom used these days)

hence the love of the tele-photo lens by the papariza :cool:

Its madness, I was working for a local company 2 years ago and we did a job that took 4 men 3 full days to erect and the boss said to me to the client will pay when your finished .
£900 was the price he got for the job .there was roughly 96 man hours just to erect ,just wondering how can anybody compete with companies like that

if they are doing the job properly, they should have no problem with someone takeing a pic of them, see a job the other day 3,story high, there was so little gear in it you could of fitted it on roof rack of a car and this was on a job for a houseing association, no scafftag no sign board transoms about every 2m if you was luck

Cowboys do not put up signbords or scafftags, so they cannot be traced as easily when the sh*t hits the fan

They are not legal requirements

Top Bottom