Ratcheting tube

baddpark

Reaction score
On a taylorwimpey site, we've been told that all trannies on stillages will have to be stropped up ratchet style. If not they will not be lifted up or taken off loading bays. Anyone else got to do this? And can we charge for the extra work!

I think it sounds like one of Wimpys more sensible ideas , how long does it take to wrap a strap around the stilage

yes mate this is correct and if you don't ratchet them up a banksman can say right carry them up its all to do with the loler regs 1998 some companies have welded straps to stillages so there will always be a secure lift don't quote me on it I think it comes under a secondary precaution ,
well what about this one were on a site and the client wants tube laid on the trannies to close the gap up between standards from the inside board to the back board I point blank refused and he was going to remove me off site so then the **** it the fan when I quoted to him all components must fixed and secured a loose tube in between is not fixed and told him if you want the 2inch gap closing call a joiner and asked him if he could show me on their method statement where in scaffolding terminology its safe to have un secure tube not tied on to lift he couldn't guess what soon as my back was turned he got someone else to do it these ***** think they no everything and no fek all about scaffolding

Theres a plastic product that fits in the gap as a closure, it comes in 2m lengths & can be cut down if required- maybe get them to sign an xtra & wack em £££s to purchase & fit

With reguards to the strap its not such a bad idea it saves picking them all up if thd lift goes wrong- i'm not aware of it forming part of the lola regs but technically its classed as a live load & so if being lifted by a crane would need securing & if they wanted to get picky i spose by forklift as well. -i have my crane,banksman,slinger & forklift ticket & whilst not normally doing it with a forklift would allways double sling the chains on a tube lift on a crane,tbh its very easy to get complacent when you want a quick lift,& that i'm afraid is how accidents happen-its about lowering the risk as well as the load, so strap it if thats what they want ,that loss of 5mins it takes to do it could save you a 20k fine,2years imprisonment & someones life

Last edited:
The ratcheting doesn't work unless the stillage has complete rows of tube (how often does that happen) they slide out or pull up to a pyramid

Balfours requires any lift to be secure with bands, no loose material. Makes sense in a way, i would not like to see a tube coming my way from above.

Top Bottom