Railway Sleepers

R

ragscaff

We make our own from 3 x 8ft boards & three sets of sole boards sandwiched between them. Painted with nice bright colours!!:D

Today had the council on saying they were not happy with that. They have to be railway sleepers!!

I said the main reason we do it that way is the manual handling on them!

They are the same size but a bit lighter & between the sole boards you can pick them up.

Whats the difference, if something's going to drive into the sleeper it won't make much difference what it was!!!!

Ragscaff

Agreed, but the thing I have learned about local authorities is it's their pavement and they can demand you use anything they like. If they want pink ribbons give them pink ribbons. Just makes the day go that bit quicker.

Get the correct tool for the job like a hiab or have a snickers

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Proper sleepers are made oak

In London most councils require the use of baulk timbers as a kerb side barrier.

These should measure 300 x 300mm which would mean that you'd need to stack 8 scaffold boards to acheive the same height, but still be 75mm short in width.

One solid peice of timber would also give a better strength-to-weight ratio than several peices tied together.

Personally, I think the plastic fenders that are placed into position and then filled with water are a better solution all round - but the cost of hire can be an issue for a lot of contractors.

Top Bottom