Question: Tin (CI) Sheet Formula?

J

Jason-Gibbs

Morning.

Just wondering...
Is there a quick way or formula to work out how many Tin Sheets you need on a Temporary Roof??

Ive never actually bothered measuring one, but at a guess id say roughly: 8ft x 4ft or 2.5m x 1.2m, or so.

Say you give yourself a 0.5m (15inch) over hang length ways and a 0.2m (6inch) over hang width ways, leaves you with: 2m and 1m.

Do you just x (times) the length of the Roof in meters by 2 and x (times) the width by 1?? :wondering:

or is there a specific formula used when you work out your loading list??

Just wondering like. :)

As you say a tin is 2m2,and your roof is length x breadth,dont forget to include an extra 1.5m for your scaffold that carries the roof;)

7ft long 2ft wide. So a roof 40ft in lenght 30 ft across 6x15 = 90 normal size tins with 100 wriggles

So roughly:

Length divided by 7 = y, and Width divided by 2 = z (y x z) = amount of sheets?

7ft long 2ft wide. So a roof 40ft in lenght 30 ft across 6x15 = 90 normal size tins with 100 wriggles

I am no Steven Hawkins but you can divide 30ft by 7ft = 4.28571429. So you really need 5 sheets to cover the width. 40ft divide by 2ft = 20 so your length would require 20 plus you need to allow for your laps so say 22. 22x5 = 110 sheets so this avoids half sheets .

length always covers the fall top to bottom doesn't need to be confusing HSWT

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

So roughly:

Length divided by 7 = y, and Width divided by 2 = z (y x z) = amount of sheets?

Yes Wriggles 1 for each tin plus and extra row for the lenght

length always covers the fall top to bottom doesn't need to be confusing HSWT

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Yes Wriggles 1 for each tin plus and extra row for the lenght

I was taking the 30ft to be the width in side view and 40ft to be length in front view.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Morning.

Just wondering...
Is there a quick way or formula to work out how many Tin Sheets you need on a Temporary Roof??

Ive never actually bothered measuring one, but at a guess id say roughly: 8ft x 4ft or 2.5m x 1.2m, or so.

Say you give yourself a 0.5m (15inch) over hang length ways and a 0.2m (6inch) over hang width ways, leaves you with: 2m and 1m.

Do you just x (times) the length of the Roof in meters by 2 and x (times) the width by 1?? :wondering:

or is there a specific formula used when you work out your loading list??

Just wondering like. :)
15 and 6 inch laps seem a lot. We used to do one groove widthways and about 2 inches lengthways.

A lot has changed from your day we actually use fittings to tie them down now and not rope and screws

A lot has changed from your day we actually use fittings to tie them down now and not rope and screws

What!! No j bolts?? I have seen the wrigglies. Hasnt the job been made so much easier? No more swinging about on the beams getting hot metal from the drill down your neck. The games easier now but theres ten times the whinging.;)

Get your roof squared so 40 x 40 = 1600 square feet
each sheet will cover approx 14 square feet so 1600 divide by 14 = 115 tins,

allow 1 sheeting clip for each tin and and an extra few clips for the leading edges so i would allow 140 sheeting clips ;)

Get your roof squared so 40 x 40 = 1600 square feet
each sheet will cover approx 14 square feet so 1600 divide by 14 = 115 tins,

allow 1 sheeting clip for each tin and and an extra few clips for the leading edges so i would allow 140 sheeting clips ;)

No good mate the roof is 40X30. Can't have a happy sarf londoner topping it up then offering me a discount if I pay cash.;)

Many years since I had anything to do with a tin sheet but........
they were always 8ft x 2ft
To calculate number required, as follows:
Number of sheets in width x Number of sheets in length.
Sheets were always calculated as 4 sheets in 7ft width with a length cover of 7ft.
You would of course need to round up to the nearest full sheet in each direction (add a couple on for your garden shed etc
Thus
(width/7ftx4sheets)x(length/7ft)=number required

I was taking the 30ft to be the width in side view and 40ft to be length in front view.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

15 and 6 inch laps seem a lot. We used to do one groove widthways and about 2 inches lengthways.

Just generalising.
I usually lap over 2 grooves, but i dont know exactly how big a groove is, lol.
Think its bigger then the width of a tube though.

Thing is with the wigglies 2groves is correct so it sits in the wiggle ....but sod law sez theres sometimes a purlin joiner in the way so u can open the lap them to 1/2-1 wiggle.
As for the horizontal lap ...due to the thin gauge of a lot of the ci now we tend to lap it approx 18"
Many years ago i saw a guy go through a roof we were striking cos the lazy bstards that put it up couldnt be arsed to pull another line up an the overhang was only about 1" & when he stood on it it just collapsed the sheet off the purlin he was hanging on for grim death with his eyes lookinglike dinnerplates on the end of snooker ques....once i'd stopped laughing and trying to hit his fingers with my spanner to which he was squellin like a big girl...i pulled him back through

A typical sheet would be 2.5m x 750mm, the coverage allowing for laps would be, 2.00m x 600mm.
So for example, if the roof was 10.00m from eaves to ridge 5 sheets & say 24.00m long (5 sheets per 3.00m run) 5 x 8 = 40 sheets
5 x 40 = 200 sheets

years ago before metric and drawings you used to measure the sheets and then pace the job out length and then the width and order a few sheets extra but as jakdan says it rocket sience these days i really dont no how scaffolders used to cope before drawings and computors lmfao

L X W /1.1 is about right. (Meters)

Hard work + looks s£it x stuck in the dark ages = f@ck it off and use a system roof.

Top Bottom