Pull tie testing

scaffman1

Reaction score
When we test our ties we test them all as heavy duty ties (to 1.5 the recommended tolerance of 12.5 kn which is 18.5 kn)

A lot of these in some walls fail the test, and you end up with a wall that is like a pepper pot.

Having had a look at the smart scaffolder programme that I use it states on most jobs that we require only light duty ties for the scaffold.

My question is;To what do you have to test a light duty and medium duty tie?

We use it to prove mostly light duty ties are needed which if memory serves is 3.5 for light and 6.2 for general purpose(or thereabouts). The new guide lines for nylon ties are a killer as you have to test them to 3 times and they very rarely suit a heavy duty test.

Hello scaffman
you are actually required to do "preliminary tests, these tests should be to twice the working load to be applied to tthe anchor.
This is followed by "Proof Tests", these are to be tested to 1.25 times the working load. ie a 6.1kN tie is tested to 7.6kN and a 12.5kN tie is tested to 15.3kN.
All the information you need is in TG4:11
hope this is of use
regards
Alan

Yes,7.6kn is a pass,have you tried the resin for crap and hollow bricks from excaliber?it's not cheap,but it works,and 1st time if done correctly.

Not trying to sound smart , but if you couldnt get say 7.2KN could you not put 2 rings in at 3.6KN ?

We use it to prove mostly light duty ties are needed which if memory serves is 3.5 for light and 6.2 for general purpose(or thereabouts). The new guide lines for nylon ties are a killer as you have to test them to 3 times and they very rarely suit a heavy duty test.

Hi AOM
I have been using The Excalibur or Hilti HUS (self tapping) Bolts
Correctley used they are a sound anchor and leave nothing but the hole when finished.
Never had a problem with these and would recomebd them
regards
Alan

We use them to Alan but to be honest I was very unsure with the advice offered about reuse and without expert knowledge who are we to say it's fit for purpose. A good tie when used with the brackets and now we have the IW they go in like cheese but we were looking for a tie for all purposes and tried and liked the Apollo nylon tie which is simpler for us to use in hard stone like granite of which there is loads round here. Getting it to take a proof test to 3 times as advised is nigh on impossible though hence the importance we place on the Cads system to prove light duty ties are all that is required.

We use them to Alan but to be honest I was very unsure with the advice offered about reuse and without expert knowledge who are we to say it's fit for purpose. A good tie when used with the brackets and now we have the IW they go in like cheese but we were looking for a tie for all purposes and tried and liked the Apollo nylon tie which is simpler for us to use in hard stone like granite of which there is loads round here. Getting it to take a proof test to 3 times as advised is nigh on impossible though hence the importance we place on the Cads system to prove light duty ties are all that is required.

I seldom get more than a second use out of the HUS but if tested they do what is says on the tin.

I used a lot of rubber style anchors in cambridge on the listed buildings but getting the inserts back was a non starter. They shrink back too slowley in the winter.

regards
Alan

We tried to have a rotational system which really just meant when they went out they came in and went in another bin, which worked well for a bit then it was hard to decide exactly where they had been and what they had done and I felt it was easier to not bother. I might buy another load and try again but as I said they are a nightmare in granite. Have you tried the nylon Alan?

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Scaffman, what ties are you using? I bumped up an old thread on the equipment section, have a look and give us your thoughts.

We tried to have a rotational system which really just meant when they went out they came in and went in another bin, which worked well for a bit then it was hard to decide exactly where they had been and what they had done and I felt it was easier to not bother. I might buy another load and try again but as I said they are a nightmare in granite. Have you tried the nylon Alan?

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Scaffman, what ties are you using? I bumped up an old thread on the equipment section, have a look and give us your thoughts.

We mostly use M16 drop in anchors, with rings,along with the resin for some applications such as shoring works with RMDs. A mate of mine over at M Y Scaffolding uses the excalibur ties and he recommends them for the same reasons as Alan states in his post. Something I will look at in the new year I think. Only reservation I have is that they are close to the wall for rendering works.

Yeah we find that as well, not sure the definitive answer but the more aware contractors work with us on the dismantle and fill in any holes on the way down although we have come back to find all the ties dangling from the wall as well.

What about the Cads system just to prove you only need light duty ties?

Yeah we find that as well, not sure the definitive answer but the more aware contractors work with us on the dismantle and fill in any holes on the way down although we have come back to find all the ties dangling from the wall as well.

What about the Cads system just to prove you only need light duty ties?

This is what brought about my first question aom, could save my lads a lot of time and effort only testing them to half what we have been used to.

We have been using it for that purpose for a while and the clients like it. Another reason for using the nylon ties as they don't take to the required 3 times required load, well in the substrate that we are used to anyway. The excaliburs are good but we do struggle with the stone round here even with the impact wrench so try and stick with the Apollo which are good in timber as well although it's a nightmare testing them as they are so long you need arms like an octopus to pack the tester out.

Top Bottom