Protecting slate tiles when using scaffold

dazzlr

Reaction score
Hi all, home DIYer here building a new extension.
We plan to render the back of the house and also wrap scaffold as the side of the house so we can repoint the gable end.
As you can see from the pics the new pitched roof is new slate and my question is - what can be done to lessen the breakages of the slate from the scaffold?
I know you guys use wooden blocks to distribute the load, but can anything more be done?
Do we just accept that a few breaks will happen and replace broken tiles after?

Many thanks
Darren, Leeds.

ps. part of the new extension is flat so that can be used for part of the load.

Attachments

• slate1.jpg
    slate1.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 3
  • slate2.jpg
    slate2.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 3
Personally, i would cover the roof with plywood to protect it from all falling debris and pay the extra charge for the gable to be installed using beams. Therefore ensuring no scaffold would have to be installed on the pitched roof. I am a leeds based scaffolder that would be happy to take on the project or for any other enquiries font hesitate to ask.

Personally, i would cover the roof with plywood to protect it from all falling debris and pay the extra charge for the gable to be installed using beams. Therefore ensuring no scaffold would have to be installed on the pitched roof. I am a leeds based scaffolder that would be happy to take on the project or for any other enquiries font hesitate to ask.
Thanks for that. It's for a rendering job and the renderer has his own guy. I'm going to speak to him and see if he can do as you suggest and if not, I'll be in touch.
What's the name of your business?

Thanks for that. It's for a rendering job and the renderer has his own guy. I'm going to speak to him and see if he can do as you suggest and if not, I'll be in touch.
What's the name of your business?
The clue is in the name...

Very droll. I did search and the business didn't come up, so thought it easier to ask. Perhaps you can provide me with a link?

The company appears to be in Lytham St Annes, so not really near you in Leeds.

I always use polystyrene sheets or any kind of insulation boards under the roof board , protects slate and fragile clay tiles really well . Don`t need to use a full sheet either , you can cut it in strips or squares for the same effect.

I always use polystyrene sheets or any kind of insulation boards under the roof board , protects slate and fragile clay tiles really well . Don`t need to use a full sheet either , you can cut it in strips or squares for the same effect.
Interesting - thanks.

Top Bottom