Proof of compliance

Poledancer

Reaction score
At a recent conference this was the subject discussed, id be interested in your thoughts.
Nearly every scaffold company now is doing their upmost to comply with every regulation/guidance going, they have to for moral, legal and economic reasons. When a reg is breached its nearly always the operative that has committed the breach, not always their fault, but mostly them who commit the breach. The disciplinary action for this is usually a sacking, now what does that do, it just passes the problem on. A scaffolders ticket is their proof of competency, just like a driving license is a drivers proof of competency. So why not like a drivers license when the scaffolder breaches a regulation, why should they then not lose points on their ticket, according to the seriousness of the breach. Once the ticket has reached its pointage, then back to being retrained from the start to get their ticket back. would this do you think deter some scaffolders from continually breaching the regs, and saying to themselves well it dont matter il just go work for someone else.

That would be impossible to police, who decides if someone has breached guidelines and regulations, who will be the judge and jury and who will pay for it?

Will the NASC hide in vans similar to those used by Safety Camera Partnerships recording non members?

Absolutely not. When a scaffolder breaches a regulation it is one person and one person only to blame and that's the gaffer for not supervising correctly. What was the quote on the other thread, you only get as good as you demonstrate or something. In other words your only ever going to be as good as the men you employ and the training provided.

If the Scaffolder did not admit the Breach, then the matter would have to be decided in open Court a costly business for both parties---a reprimand and further Training on the Breach could be sufficient, depends on the severity and repetitive and habitual action...

An Efficient and Effective Induction together with Sufficient Resources and Supervision should be suffice for compliance...

Should be Gary but very rarely is, human nature and all that. I don't want to air dirty laundry in public but I am thinking of an incident not long ago and to be honest despite the fact I was never on the job I will have to accept full responsibility for it. Supervision and paper work is the key.

Sorry Poledancer but this would not be the road to go down.

But we like the way your thinking.:D:cool:

would you agree or disagree that rather than doing the touch screen and the touch screen alone every 5 year maby 1 or 2 day refresher to get up to speed scaffs i work with still believe that a sway should be placed every 100ft, that a swivel is not a load baring fitting so on and so forth just to get them back on track with regs

Thanks lads some good comments there, exactly how could you police something like that, and who would. It was something that was brought up and sounded good at the time, but in reality No agree with you.

But do agree that just sacking people for constant breaching is not the answer, all youre doing is passing youre problem onto another company to give our industry another problem. And i dont think you can always blame supervision, if someone needs supervision 8 hours a day, then obviously that person has an issue.
So what do you do with constant offenders that you have given all the information, instruction and training they require, but still they get you into trouble???????????????????????????????????

Think thats a top idea, they change rules and regs yearly. Id be up for that just for my own interest.

do know what- its a stupid fuuucking jobsworths that even thinks about such a shockingly stupid idea, to put another nail in our industry(proberbly be taken up at the next nasc general meeting)

although the thought of the need for a single training day, before re-issue of exhisting tickets to help bring all ticket holders up to date with new rules and regs might not be a bad idea as not eveyone is a nasc member and aware of their recommendations - could maybe taken at a local tech colledge,making it local and easier to attend, intsead of feathering the nests of the bigger cirscs colledge schemes

Last edited:
Supervisors usually take all the ****.. and you don't get much more money for it.... you can't watch everything that goes off.. unless your a right tw.at...lol

do know what- its a stupid fuuucking jobsworths that even thinks about such a shockingly stupid idea, to put another nail in our industry(proberbly be taken up at the next nasc general meeting)

although the thought of the need for a single training day, before re-issue of exhisting tickets to help bring all ticket holders up to date with new rules and regs might not be a bad idea as not eveyone is a nasc member and aware of their recommendations - could maybe taken at a local tech colledge,making it local and easier to attend, intsead of feathering the nests of the bigger cirscs colledge schemes

firm am on for is nasc or chas reg and we only find out about new regs laws if hse had a fonecall about us off another firm and come in yard about fines lol other than that just find out off the lads that have bene on part 1 and 2 courses i do think the one day refresher is good so theres no excuses of i didnt know i wasnt told not my responsability. What would the sccr think about doing this could they knock the idea about or have i miss read the sccr ?

Scaff1989 if as you say your firm is NASC I can assure you they already know all about the reg changes long before the boy's attend their college course. I sent one boy for his advanced recently and he came back full of stories about this new standard we all had to work by called TG20. I was left with a mixed feeling of dismay as obviously nobody reads my Rams and hilarity as they obviously think I have no idea what's going on in our industry despite being a member.

Also, when I blamed supervision I didn't mean you have to watch them for the full shift but if you stick to your guns and are very clear all the time off the required standard you will soon get the required standard. When the boy's fall short it's because the gaffer has just left them to their own devices for one job to many.

firm am on for is nasc or chas reg and we only find out about new regs laws if hse had a fonecall about us off another firm and come in yard about fines lol other than that just find out off the lads that have bene on part 1 and 2 courses i do think the one day refresher is good so theres no excuses of i didnt know i wasnt told not my responsability. What would the sccr think about doing this could they knock the idea about or have i miss read the sccr ?

Stay on here mate, and you will find out about all new Rules,Regs,ACOPS and Guidance notes even before they have been Ratified.;)

Scaff1989 if as you say your firm is NASC I can assure you they already know all about the reg changes long before the boy's attend their college course. I sent one boy for his advanced recently and he came back full of stories about this new standard we all had to work by called TG20. I was left with a mixed feeling of dismay as obviously nobody reads my Rams and hilarity as they obviously think I have no idea what's going on in our industry despite being a member.

I AGREE WITH YOU THERE BUT ITS ONE THING HAVIGN THIS INFORMATION NASC ITS ANOTHER THING NOT PASSING IT ON TO THE LADS UNTILL HSE IS KNOCKING AT THE DOOR AV NEVER HERD OF TG20 THE BOOKLET I HAD TO GO BY WAY SG4.5 THAT WAS MBY 2 3 YR AGO SO SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD NO IDEA OF ANY NEW LEGISLATION FROM MY EMPLOYER OTHER THAN A LETTER COZ YAN OF THE LADS HAD BEEN SENE BY HSE WITH OUT A HARNESS ON SAYIGN YOU WILL BE FIND X AMOUNT AND WELL WILL BE FIND X AMOUNT OTHER THAN THAT WERE HERE NOTHING GOES BY TO TI DIDNT KNOW I WASNT TOLD NOT MY RESPONSABILITY, SO WHO RESPONSABILITY IS IT TO STICK TO THE NEW REG THE DIRECTOR OF THE FIRM WHITH THE INFORMATION OR THE LADS ON THE STREET WITH OUT IS
it might be a case of every one eles get told but our bosses tell you nothing i dont know

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Stay on here mate, and you will find out about all new Rules,Regs,ACOPS and Guidance notes even before they have been Ratified.;)

cheers for that paddy will take notcie

I AGREE WITH YOU THERE BUT ITS ONE THING HAVIGN THIS INFORMATION NASC ITS ANOTHER THING NOT PASSING IT ON TO THE LADS UNTILL HSE IS KNOCKING AT THE DOOR AV NEVER HERD OF TG20 THE BOOKLET I HAD TO GO BY WAY SG4.5 THAT WAS MBY 2 3 YR AGO SO SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD NO IDEA OF ANY NEW LEGISLATION FROM MY EMPLOYER OTHER THAN A LETTER COZ YAN OF THE LADS HAD BEEN SENE BY HSE WITH OUT A HARNESS ON SAYIGN YOU WILL BE FIND X AMOUNT AND WELL WILL BE FIND X AMOUNT OTHER THAN THAT WERE HERE NOTHING GOES BY TO TI DIDNT KNOW I WASNT TOLD NOT MY RESPONSABILITY, SO WHO RESPONSABILITY IS IT TO STICK TO THE NEW REG THE DIRECTOR OF THE FIRM WHITH THE INFORMATION OR THE LADS ON THE STREET WITH OUT IS
it might be a case of every one eles get told but our bosses tell you nothing i dont know

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

cheers for that paddy will take notcie

Maybe true enough but the story I told you was true despite the fact I had a signed booklet as received from all the boys. When I realised there was something lacking I went to Scaffolding Safety Services to come up and train all the boys on tg20 sg4:10 and the like, maybe you should get your gaffer to get in touch with them.

sound like you value your reputation and your workforce carnt say the same about my gaffer that would cost him money to get trained on anything and when his wanting the jobs knocked up he dont want us to know about all these regs lol were cna i fin the tg20 and sg 4:10 at online ?

Top Bottom