Pricing uncertanty

Q.Silver

Reaction score
Sorry to go on about the same old topic but I am about to price a job but I am a bit confused with the clients so called "budget".

It will be a new build 2 storey house. Not allowed to tie, so rackers or buttress would be needed. Now the height to the eaves level is 5.4m and on plan it is 14m long and 12m wide.

Scaffold would be required on all 4 sides.

Assuming we apply £20.00/ metre run it would cost £1040.00 per lift x 3 giving a total of £3120.00.

I was told that they had budgeted max. £2000.00 and was actually hoping for a bit less.

Am I wrong in thinking that might be too little?

Apologies, it is my first go so I am finding it difficult to know what is too dear and what is reasonable.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A lot depends on the area where you are based and what sort of length of time they want the scaffold up for. Then there are your overheads, are you hiring the gear?, how close is the job?, are you doing it yourself or are you going to be paying lads to erect and strip it.

Is the job going through the books or is it cash?

The lowest I would do it for would be £15/m giving you a price of £2340.
In saying that, we would have to be quiet to go that low.

They might have been budgeting for less but thats life. My missus always budgets to spend around £80 a week in tescos but she seems to end up spending £120

Last edited:
Sorry mate but what he has budgeted for is fcuk all to do with you what you work out as your best price , is your best price if its over his budget tell him to go to a budget scaffolding outfit for a service, if you can do it for £2000-00 then do it for £2000-00 , when you price jobs you work out overheads etc etc of your company and price work based on that , you dont have to go round pricing by £20-00 a metre just because joe bloggs down the road charges that per metre he might have bigger or smaller overheads but to be honest with you £15 t £20 per mtr sounds about Average as per other posts and comments on the forum.

At the end of the day, you dont want to buy the work do you? If you cant make any money on the job, simply dont do it.
At the end of the day you want to make a few bob on it and you wont if you cut your own throat by dropping down the price by a third of your own quote.
It wasnt the old 'sob story' one by the client was it mate?

Last edited:
As others have said it depends on a few factors but I would reckon you are not far off the mark with your first effort. They are at it, hunt them.

I would never price any job on a metre rate price...Pricing is not that easy... you have to take account for...
Material (how much tubes fittings and boards ect ect to do the full job)
Transport (how many loads and how far away is the job)
Labour (for erection and dismantle)
Any sundries (any purchase cost)
And the most important thing is hire periods
Scaffolding is classed as a hired item so (ie if it cost say £15.00 per metre) does this mean I could have it for 1 week or 2 years...I dont think so....

This is my Epinions only..

Fully agree TAC, i have often been told [the other firm always charge me £15.00 per metre] so does that include

fully boarded
fan
netting/sheeting
weekend work
hire period
travel

the simple answer is no, you work out what they want and if it comes to £100.00 per metre then thats what you charge.

you've had some really good advise so far from some experianced guys,
the only thing i would add is if you got no work and you could do it and as long as its on a cash deal basis ....then take it ,if not just tell the client to get a quote from another company then come back to you to pricematch - just cos their budget it 2k doesnt mean thats what the jobs worth, you've investerd several thousand pounds on plant so you cant afford to do jobs like this

It happens all the time , some doughnut decides how much they should pay for scaffolding and sets a budget , dont mean that budget is going to cover the scaffold , like Southern says tell them thats the price you can do the job for.
It dont sound to cheap to me Q.silver sounds about right ;)

Yes i think your price is competitive to
Tell him you've checked your figures and its the best you can do

Or 2.5 k for cash:)

Smack him in the face and say "hows that for a budget"

Ort marra missed your earlier post's... Is it block/timberframed/brick. Is that price including alterations if it is block. Give them a price and stick to it because be=4 you know it youll have every 1 telling you what price there going to pay you. Try and get him up closer to your price and when you have found a happy medium you both agree on at the price tell him yeha ok ill tell you what lets flip it heads i win tails you win(to guarantee you win the doubble headed coins best) all the best

Top Bottom