Plettac?

Stan.

Reaction score
I've used layher for years and I've just found out that plettac have coppied it. I never heard of plettac till I just read about it on a post on here I'm just wondering if anyone uses it much and have any of ya's have any pics of the stuff?

I honestly didn't here of it till tonight mate so I just assumed it was a copy because it's what I've read have you used it?

Plettac been round years its a ringlock system with slight different measures then layher etc

As good as layher

Plettac is similar, but uses metric measurements, eg. 2m ledgers instead of Layher's 2.07m. Potentially offers a lot of benefits for material usage, except they use the same width decks as Layher, which makes the boarded lifts even more 'gappy'

Plettac was a company based in Scotland owned by a guy called Bob Bell. I did a hugh amount using th roof system but not the access. SGB bought the roof system (against advice) and then dumped it a few years later. I believe both Mark Hanley and Dennis Rigg both had a go at running Plettac.

We used the roof system when subbying to SGB in Oxford Alan. The independent was all B+P with outside of transoms fixed with DH. Mark 3s for the ladder beams that took the roof trusses. The roof had a ridge so when tin sheeting we had to bend one side of top sheets over the ridge. Purlins were all fixed with B+p so would have added a lot of weight to the job.

We used the roof system when subbying to SGB in Oxford Alan. The independent was all B+P with outside of transoms fixed with DH. Mark 3s for the ladder beams that took the roof trusses. The roof had a ridge so when tin sheeting we had to bend one side of top sheets over the ridge. Purlins were all fixed with B+p so would have added a lot of weight to the job.

May well of been one of my drawings, I did a lot for Oxford along with a guy called Alan Abrahams.

Plettac was full on for big spans in the late 80's early 90's but there was a lack of understanding of the effects an apex roof would have on a scaffold.

Plettac and Haki had the same basic principles on roof design which meant that they had designed their respective trusses to span given distances between fixed supports ie: the assumption that the end supports would not move. This allowed the truss to be much stronger as it meant the apex on the roof would not sag.
However, when SGB took on both the Haki and the Plettac systems a pedantic engineer by the name of Reade disagreed with this design concept as he could not make the scaffolds strong enough to resist the resultant horizontal loads from the roof. As a result the engineering solution proposed by Mr Reade was to introduce a bottom tie chord across the span which sent shock waves through SGB and subsequently the industry as no one had priced for the addition tie chord. As expected the roofing companies said it was not needed and the scaffold companies SGB included did not want to put it in and so it went on.
That said every Apex roofing job I have designed since has had some form of restraint to stop the bottom chords from spreading and having worked very closely with Haki for a number of years they have now taken some of my ideas into the fold and designed a bottom tie chord in system using my old favourite Tube Lock.

Still have the same problem Alan!

Roof supplier indicates roof spans 30+m just fine but fails to appreciate the huge force that puts on the scaffolds...horizontal force (the worst kind, lol).

Still as you say we do have the tie chords now in nearly all the roof systems which helps...

MOBILE apex roof no tie chord....now they are interesting!

Still have the same problem Alan!

Roof supplier indicates roof spans 30+m just fine but fails to appreciate the huge force that puts on the scaffolds...horizontal force (the worst kind, lol).

Still as you say we do have the tie chords now in nearly all the roof systems which helps...

MOBILE apex roof no tie chord....now they are interesting!

Morning AxSD, you're up early.
It was one of your old mates that I had a run with over the tie chord. It started with a regional manager called Bill Banks and moved on to Barrie Parker who had a fit when he saw the additional kit, he sent mails to all the directors demanding answers but was upset to find my design was correct.

Morning AxSD, you're up early.
It was one of your old mates that I had a run with over the tie chord. It started with a regional manager called Bill Banks and moved on to Barrie Parker who had a fit when he saw the additional kit, he sent mails to all the directors demanding answers but was upset to find my design was correct.

Barry Parker....sends a shiver down the spine! Lol

nsg bought them out in the late 90s or the otherway round,i was under the impression it was a german outfit.didnt know it was originally a scotsmans roofing system
cheers for the info allan

when first using plettac it can be tricky with your 10 ft bays when your trying to lower the board down , you basically have to lift the whole board over the span and lower it down on to the daft little spikes that are on top of the frames.

a simple system that can be erected or stripped very quickly , especially in germany , lol

Top Bottom