permit charges

superscaff75

Reaction score
Got yorkshire councils new permit charges an stuff thru post this morn, how do they work their prices out.

scaffold upto 10mtrs high £180-00 4wks £25 inspection fee £80-00 per xtra 4wks

same applies for scaffold above 10mtrs

retention scaffolds £360-00 first 4wks then as above

ally tower £30

hoarding reducing footpath to 1.5 mtr wide or wider £90-00

hoarding reducing footpath to less than 1.5 mtrs £180-00

Surely using a footpath highway is simply using it regardless what it is you doing or how high you doing it.

Got yorkshire councils new permit charges an stuff thru post this morn, how do they work their prices out.

scaffold upto 10mtrs high £180-00 4wks £25 inspection fee £80-00 per xtra 4wks

same applies for scaffold above 10mtrs

retention scaffolds £360-00 first 4wks then as above

ally tower £30

hoarding reducing footpath to 1.5 mtr wide or wider £90-00

hoarding reducing footpath to less than 1.5 mtrs £180-00

Surely using a footpath highway is simply using it regardless what it is you doing or how high you doing it.

On top of which you need your special dispensation for for restricted parking. up here it's £20.00 per vehicle per 7 days (so if you want to take a different lorry on day 2 you have to pay again) + a lot of streets you can only work on out of office hours (even though it's busier on the weekend in many parts).Then you have to pay the extra hours for the men,Which no one wants to pay you for.:eek::eek::eek:

Southampton Council are just as bad. Gone from being free to this -

Application fee £60
Pre Inspection £50
Post inspection £50
Deposit £110 (refundable)
Weekly inspection £25

bleding robbery

got the notification of n.y.c.c. today it seems to me they are turning the allocation of permits into a profit making scheme which according to a freind who works at leeds council is not legal ,she fired an e mail off to them to ask how they justify it see what they have to say, seems a lot to me for an inspection that on most occasions can only take minutes and a bit of nonsence paperwork think its going to encourage a lot of roofers to get their ladders out again for minor repairs instead of getting a tower banged up .Thought this country was trying to encourage small buisness not banging another tax on us .I know its a local authority but the top boys and girls in parliament have just handed the book to them so their hands are clean at election time . WE NEED A REVOLUTION

Post inspection fee? Does that mean they come out and inspect the scaffold when its complete, bit of a contradiction when you see some of the jobs put up on the street. It's the same here though I doubt if there ever inspected when you see some of the jobs put up.

Have they actually a legal right to charge us for these permits,as years ago the point of getting a permit was just to check that they didn't have any work to be done in the same area.....I Wonder...

in lincolnshire, Skegness, where most my work is, i pay £50 for 4 weeks for 20 metres long, height has no bearing. if i ring and extend that before the end of the period its freeeee, and thats over the phone. in Boston, just down the road its the same but i have to go and meet the bloke from the council before the job and talk him out of whatever crazy suggestion he has. nearly every time i ring, i always tell them its 20m or under, they never check :blink1:

edit;; if you're reading this LCC im only joking!!

similar to where im at atlash, most of our work is actually county durham, but we get stuff sent thru post off any council we have had a permit off in the past.

County Durham Permits are £25-00 per week per 20mtrs, thats it no additional inspection fees or anything, we ring them up , get permission , go erect the scaffold, permit generally arrives in post between 3 days after phone call or upto 2 weeks after scaffold been struck :noworry:

listening to some of the chaps talk on here of permits , amazes me , prices, overboard public protection etc etc , up here in God,s country its just bish bash bosh job,s a good one, no hiked up prices,no jumped up council pricks, no trouble so long as you put up a good tidy safe job in a safe working manor and the right amount of public protection warranted for the job.:D

Post inspection fee? Does that mean they come out and inspect the scaffold when its complete, bit of a contradiction when you see some of the jobs put up on the street. It's the same here though I doubt if there ever inspected when you see some of the jobs put up.

Suposedly they inspect the area before you build to ensure safe passage for pedestrians etc.
They supposedly inspect it weekly...yea right!
They supposedly inspect once dismantled to check for damage etc, this I know they actually do.

Its all a load of bollox, I complained about a real abortion of a scaffold to the council with no result. It was a fairly big scaffold on a major junction, lots of cars and pedestrians. Only ties in the job were clips around drainpipes, what the hell do these inspectors look at then?

Dave with some of the jobs we see in Southampton & Portsmouth i think you were lucky to see ties around the drainpipes looks like they put some effort into it (A top job )

Dave with some of the jobs we see in Southampton & Portsmouth i think you were lucky to see ties around the drainpipes looks like they put some effort into it (A top job )

What you on about...it was one of yours....hehehehehe.
No, seriously, does make you wonder....

:toung:

You, like us do make the effort but it really pi55es me off when you price a job with all the bells n whistles etc then see some slash n bodgit company undercut you and throw up a pile of *****.

there is a cracking job in town at the moment with a beams spanning over an outbuilding of 6m with the inside picked up on an ally tower and the outside beam swinging in the wind.
and part of it is on the the pavement.
lees than 100 yards away a job 10m long x 8 lift high with 1 gravlok as a tie to the steel at each end. a big firm as well

there is a cracking job in town at the moment with a beams spanning over an outbuilding of 6m with the inside picked up on an ally tower and the outside beam swinging in the wind.
and part of it is on the the pavement.
lees than 100 yards away a job 10m long x 8 lift high with 1 gravlok as a tie to the steel at each end. a big firm as well

are they NASC LMFAO

talking of council inspectors once put a job up in knaresborough 13x13 4 lifts on pavement left job to go to leeds and got a call from harrogate council saying the job was dangerous and their engineer had cordoned off pavement because scaffold wasnt tied in,rushed back thinking what the f*ck have the builders been at it or what ,anyway got to job and everything was sound just as i left it council engineer is there with his flashing lites on and barrier tape out so i tackled him saying what the f*cks the problem its hilti tied on second and top lifts ,what do you mean hilti tied he says so i not so politely told him to come up scaffold to have a look ,he looks at them like hed just seen the new world and says im not sure that that is sufficient ,didnt even know what a hilti tie was so i asked him how would he tie it in bearing in mind its a flat wall no windows it so he says that it should have stays , rakers i think he meant what into middle of the ******* high street i told him to get back to his office and get his billy does scaffolding learning story book out and let me know how it should be done.Then i sent a bill £100.00 callout , along side a printout of hiltii system to council ,bas***ds never paid out though . That was a so called inspector;engineer never saw him again after that.

goodfella this is just another example of these 1 or 2 day inspection course muppets who are becoming all too prevalent now mate,its a wonder you didnt chin him for wasting your time and he had the gall to try and bill you.....cheeky.

are they NASC LMFAO

Oh yes indeed.....:eek:

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

goodfella this is just another example of these 1 or 2 day inspection course muppets who are becoming all too prevalent now mate,its a wonder you didnt chin him for wasting your time and he had the gall to try and bill you.....cheeky.

Regardless of the inspectors ability, the state of some of the scaffolds you see erected make you wonder if anyone really knows what they are supposed to be doing, especially when it comes to ties.
When I speak to a lot of the younger scaffs they just dont have a clue whats required for ties, a big failing in the training program me thinks.

Oh yes indeed.....:eek:

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Regardless of the inspectors ability, the state of some of the scaffolds you see erected make you wonder if anyone really knows what they are supposed to be doing, especially when it comes to ties.
When I speak to a lot of the younger scaffs they just dont have a clue whats required for ties, a big failing in the training program me thinks.

i know what you mean dave there are a couple of firms just started out near us and quality of work is disgusting aint got a clue how to price either wheres the pride in the work, guy i aprenticed to 25 years ago would have decked me if i put a job up like that . i couldnt leave a job if it wasnt up to standard and neat some of these jobs are a pile of ***** boards hanging out 8 ft beams sleeved no splice rakers not tied back etc the list is endless but builders use them because they are dirt cheap sometimes half the going rate

Top Bottom