Performing Rights licence

Dass

Reaction score
Had a phone call yesterday from some woman at PRS (Performing Rights Society) wanting to know if we listened to the radio at work in the office. Told her we didn't listen to the radio in the office. Then she went through a list of Do we have on hold music on our phones? Do we listen to music on the computer? Do we listen to music on a mobile phone? Do we listen to any music by any other means in the office?

I've checked up PRS on the interweb and they do go round trying to catch people committing the heinous crime of listening to music without paying for it

Just thought I would mention it in case any of you get caught out. I've heard the licenses can be upwards of £500 a year

Last edited:
I got a call 2 weeks ago, told him to **** off....

Not a lot on today hence:-
Music in the workplace
What's the first thing you do when you get to work? Answer your emails? Make a cup of tea? Perhaps you turn on the radio to get the day off to a good start?
For many small business owners, listening to music is as much a part of their working lives as filling in a tax return. And while many firms play copyrighted material through the radio or CDs, the rise of streaming music over the internet - through services such as Spotify- means it's now easier than ever to listen to your favourite artists while you work.
However, play copyrighted music within earshot of your customers or any of your colleagues and you'll need a licence. Without one, you're breaking UK copyright law and could be taken to court.
The Performing Rights Society (PRS)- which ensures that performers and songwriters receive broadcast royalties - hit the headlines last year after many small businesses complained they were being "harassed"to buy a licence to play music.
The Federation of Small Business (FSB) took up the case and publically accused the PRS of running a "money-making exercise", claiming that the whole licensing regime was both complicated and costly.
"I run a small web design company where there's just myself and two other people in the office,"one SME owner told us on condition of anonymity. "We often listen to the radio or CDs and thought nothing of it. So when someone from a company called PRS rang and asked if we had a licence to do so, I was amazed. Fearing it to be a hoax I looked at their website and found it was completely legitimate."
"However, times are tough enough just now so we've got rid of the radio and just listen to our iPods. It's not as sociable, but at least it's free."

The Forum of Private Business (FPB) was also inundated with claims of harassment from its members. According to their spokesman, Phil McCabe, "Frustrated members contacted the FPB's member helpline to complain that PRS staff are less than courteous when they call, and appear to have an agenda to catch firms out. Our members report that they have been asked 'fishing' questions, and then confronted about the fact they do not have a licence."
But that was last year. Since then it would appear that small business organisations and the PRS have called a truce, and begun working together. After much consultation, the FSB won a 50% reduction in the cost of a licence for workplaces with less than four people; down from £84 to £44.
PRS spokesperson Barney Hooper said that the reduction was all part of the organisation having listened to small businesses, and that it reflected the tough trading times they were going through. "The recession is hitting people hard. Introducing the reduction makes it possible for small workplaces to use all the music they need whilst still ensuring writers and composers are fairly compensated."
Music licence: gone Pete Curling Tong?
The owner of a hairdressing salon would like to play CDs that can be heard by their customers. They have three chairs, and would need to pay £69.62 plus VAT for a year's licence.
The PRS' website contains a section giving more detailed information on costs and cover, but you can call (on 0800 068 4828) to find out for sure if you need a licence, and to get an accurate quote.

The FSB always supported the need for businesses to obtain music licences, but disagreed with some of the PRS's allegedly heavy-handed tactics. So have those tactics changed? Marc Shoffman of the FSB thinks so. "We have been working with the PRS to be less aggressive in their approach," he says. "As part of that, we've helped them produce a statement of principles to outline reasons for charges and establish an independent ombudsman for any complaints."

However, the FPB believes the music licence system still has a long way to go. "There has been progress over the last year, but much more needs to be done," says FPB spokesman Phil McCabe. "Following our lobbying on the issue, the FPB were consulted over the new PRS 'code of conduct', which is currently being drafted. But we're still critical of how complex and confusing it can be to obtain a licence. The PRS has more than 40 varying price tariffs and provides inadequate guidance for people trying to negotiate them."
The FPB is still campaigning to get the laws changed. "We want to make it clear that, while it is understandable to require businesses such as restaurants, pubs and cafes to hold a licence, it is small firms like garages, which allow their staff to listen to music with no desire for commercial gain whatsoever, that suffer most. These smallest businesses could and should be made exempt."
Currently over 350,000 companies hold a music licence in the UK but many small businesses are still unsure of the rules of playing music in the workplace. We asked the PRS's Barney Hooper for a quick rundown on the rules on music in the workplace:
1. Why does the industry insist on music licences?
"It's important to remember that writers and composers are small businesses too, and this is one of the only ways they can earn money. Apart from that, music is hugely important to business. We have done extensive research on the positive effect music can have in the workplace. Music not only helps with staff productivity, it can benefit a company's bottom line by increasing sales. So it's only fair that the people who wrote the music get paid for it."
2. It sounds like this is just one more way to get money out of already struggling small firms. Is it?
"The PRS is a not-for-profit organisation, and as such only deducts a small amount out of the cost of a licence fee to cover operating costs."
3. How much will a music licence cost me?
"The cost of your music licence can depend on various factors. The type of premises, the size of your premises and the nature and extent to which music is used will all be taken into account."
4. Why are there so many different licences on offer?
"We have 42 different tariffs which may appear confusing, but just means there's one for everyone. It would be unfair for a small business to pay the same as a big supermarket which plays music right across the store all day."
5. My staff play music through the internet by using Spotify. Do I need a special licence?
"If people play the music through their headphones then it's fine, but if they put it through speakers, then technically that's broadcast of music and does require a licence."
6. There are only two of us in the office listening to the radio. Why should we get a licence?
"Although you should contact us to find out exactly the amount you should pay, it sounds like you'll only need our cheapest licence which costs £44 plus VAT. That's as little as £1 a week to enhance your working environment, increase staff productivity and ensure the creators are adequately paid for their work."
When do I need a licence?
• UK law states you need a music licence if you're intending to play copyrighted music in public to an audience (in public means anywhere outside your immediate home environment).
• An audience can be as little as one other person.
• So, broadly speaking, that means if you play music at work that can be overheard by any other people (be it clients or colleagues) you'll need to purchase a music licence.
• So, in nearly all cases, if you are playing music outside the home or domestic environment, you will need to buy a music licence.

When don't I need a licence?
While it's safest to assume you do need a licence to play music, there are exceptions. A full list is available here on the PRS for music website.
• Your employees only listen to music through headphones attached to their own portable devices.
• You work alone and the music you play is not audible to anyone who may visit (such as clients).
• You work in a home office and have no clients or colleagues visiting.
• The music you play is not subject to copyright law. If you really don't want to get a licence but wish to carry on playing music (for example on the phone to customers while they hold) then there are companies who supply copyright-free music.
• You're playing music to patients in hospitals or hospices, or playing music for medical therapy.
• You only use music for the purpose of performing electrical checks.
• You're using music in a place of worship for ceremonies.

"If people play the music through their headphones then it's fine, but if they put it through speakers, then technically that's broadcast of music and does require a licence."

So if you listen to music through headphones you're ok but unplug the headphones and you should pay for a licence??

What a complete load of bo11ocks

Not quite........

You work alone and the music you play is not audible to anyone who may visit (such as clients).

• You work in a home office and have no clients or colleagues visiting.

Does all seem to be over complicated,
I believe the record companies, singers songwriters and all of the industry are making millions of £££££,s by re-selling the same product time and time again

They are being greedy in trying to make every little outfit, pay for a licence fee

You're right Rigger

The music industry is one of the few who can recycle their products over and over.

In their ideal world they expect you to keep shelling out for the same thing.

Back in the day (before my time lol) you had an album on an 8-track, then a vinyl LP, then on cassette, then on CD, then on mini-disc and then on MP3

If you were dumb enough, you could have paid out 6 times for the same thing

Top Bottom