pay over christmas break

paul

Reaction score
The company I work for shut down on the 20th of December but due to the work load a crew had to work up till 24th which was me and two others and the same on the 27th-30th and again from 2nd till the 4th January and start back properly on the sixth , before the boss went on holiday he did the wages to cover the two weeks which was stat days and annual leave ,
So today we get our wage slips and feck me he's deducted all the annual leave days I worked saying he cant pay me twice , ie annual leave and worked days.
Was I wrong to expect both ?

Just seeing a minus sign and deduction for the days ive worked was a shock

Am I wrong?

No mate, if you've worked on a stat holiday then your entitled to you holiday pay, and then your pay for days you worked at the agreed rate.
I worked 4 days over christmas, and i was given the choice of my usual rate or a day in leiu for everyday i worked. I would go and see him and tell him the what for.

Not too sure on this one its pro part of the emoyment act but tbh its a bit naughty not to pay you as u were doin him a favour withthe workload-although technically you didnt use your holiday entilement so u can still take it .he should have payed u for the 3 days of xmas,boxing & new years day. The other thing to check is when ur holidays run from & if it can be brought over, some companies like us go from year end to year start others april-april & if you dont use it there may be a financial loss in the respect of unused leave is lozt entitlement.other companies may well pay it in lieu or even credit it onto next year-take some advise & get it clarified or it may come as a shock when u later go to claim only to be told u aint got any left.
the other thing that may have happened is whilst sorti g your sages out in advance for himself goin on holiday cash flow may have een tok tight to pay you in case u didnt actually work

The company I work for shut down on the 20th of December but due to the work load a crew had to work up till 24th which was me and two others and the same on the 27th-30th and again from 2nd till the 4th January and start back properly on the sixth , before the boss went on holiday he did the wages to cover the two weeks which was stat days and annual leave ,
So today we get our wage slips and feck me he's deducted all the annual leave days I worked saying he cant pay me twice , ie annual leave and worked days.
Was I wrong to expect both ?

Just seeing a minus sign and deduction for the days ive worked was a shock

Am I wrong?

Its ******** had the same problem years ago with a small company at home.

To start with you should be getting either 1.5 or 2 x your rate for helping him out over a holiday period.

There is no argument to it you have done the work you should get payed both.

To be fair paul thats a really bad sign to anybody going to nz to hear about companies pulling them stunts.

Ask him to pay you them if he will not do you really want to work for him anymore ? Cause i sure as hell know i wouldnt

Remember it was you doing him a favour

definately entitled to both Paul. You know what to do on the next holiday then.

The problem with this thread Pual is we dont know if you are Uk or Nz??

If UK then I would go along with the replies above
If NZ then the rules/legislation could well be differant over there.

Oh and if it is UK tell him you want your fecking money!

Its nz spannerman,and the structures the same as here. Pauls still entitled to his annual leave with pay. The priks pulling a fast one. In fact Paul done him a favor working,during his holiday period, should have got paid and a bonus.

I would do it for the love, you can never do enough for a good boss :)

Had it out with bossman today and he says its legal as i still got holidays to take later on in the year ! But if i was aware of it i wont not have bother and got the same money ! Could of spent time with the kids and had a proper break but one things for sure he wont catch me again like it and theres always ways of getting him back ! Cheeky fecker
Ive worked for five companies in NZ and they have been upfront with all annual leave ! Good companies and bad ones

Surely if you havent taken then (or been paid them) you have saved them!

Had it out with bossman today and he says its legal as i still got holidays to take later on in the year ! But if i was aware of it i wont not have bother and got the same money ! Could of spent time with the kids and had a proper break but one things for sure he wont catch me again like it and theres always ways of getting him back ! Cheeky fecker
Ive worked for five companies in NZ and they have been upfront with all annual leave ! Good companies and bad ones

To be honest mate your far to fair. There is obviously a shortage of scaffs over there so i would just look for work eleswhere.

You hit the nail on the head you could have spent your time with the family that time cant be bought back.

Top Bottom