part 1 help

fuller89

Reaction score
Hi my name is adam, I've been scaffolding for five years but got no tickets.
I need info about how much the part 1 course is and how long it takes, ect...

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum. Depending on where you live and your circumstance there may well be some funding for you to use for training. I think the average cost is around 850-950 depending on where you go but I always advise keeping your money in your pocket and get a job with a firm who would be willing to train you whilst you earn. Not everyone agree's with me for various reasons but if you can get the funding then so could the employers and I have never understood why someone could work in this game for so long without getting sent for tickets. PM Simian if you are determined to pay for your own and good luck with what ever you decide.

Im currently on job seekers, but they said I can get funding, but i need every last detail about this course.
The only access to the internet ive got is through my phone and its so slow.
Thanks for your replys.

Oh well you are halfway there then. There are loads of centres around now offering part 1 and the good thing is I wouldn't worry too much about quality unless the funding is going to carry you through to at least a basic scaffolder which will mean at least 3 visits. If your just getting your first part just pick the one most local to you meaning you won't have a lot of travel expenses. Without knowing your location it's difficult to point you in the right direction but would jobseekers not help you in that regard anyway?

I'm based in coventry, i think the nearest one is in birmingham.
Jobseekers won't do any research into it, there making me do it all myself.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

What's the difference between part 1 and basic scaff. I thought they were the same. how come you would have to go there 3 times.

Adam,

That's the reason I always advise people to save their cash as part 1 just means you would be classed as a trainee. As a minimum you would do your part 1 training to get your trainee card and to be honest it would not enhance your employability chances one bit as a stand alone thing. To get your basic ticket you would need to go back to get your part 2 training followed by another visit to do your final assessment before you would be issued with a basic card. In between all that you need to be gaining on site experience to be able to fill in your portfolio also required to gain your final assessment.

There would be no need to inform job seekers of this as you do have to start somewhere but it's by no means a quick fix. The biggest problem our industry faces is too many young men who have the tickets and no idea how to use them. Our apprentices go to college for a 3 week induction then 6 month's on site before going back for a further 3 weeks for part one then another 6 months on site followed by 3 weeks for part 2 then another 6 months on site then finally 2 week final assessment. There is now an allowance to get them sent back to do their advanced which is a fairly recent development one which I will probably now use even although they would have nowhere near the experience in real terms to call themselves advanced as I would know it but they keep telling me that's progress.

If I were you, I would keep my mouth shut and get them to fund your part 1 as you do need to start somewhere but do a bit more digging to find a centre closer to you, I'm sure there are some especially if it is just for the part 1 and an employer may be prepared to take you the rest of the way, I have done it in the past although it's tough. Is there not a job club or something where you can search the net for training?

What's the difference between part 1 and basic scaff. I thought they were the same. how come you would have to go there 3 times.

Hello mate.

Now... where im all for helping blokes and doing what i can to give them info and links to the best of my knowledge, you SHOULD after 5 years of Scaffolding know the difference between a Part 1 and a Part 2 (Basic) Scaffolder.

You really should...
Not being nasty or anything, as thats not what i do, but.

Anyway, you need 3 visits to the Training Centre for each of your 'Parts'.
Theres your:
  • Part 1, as AOM rightly says will make you legally classed as a Trainee Scaffolder.
  • Part 2, which will make you legally classed as a Basic Scaffolder.
  • Part 3 or which is usually called - Advanced which will legally class you as an Advanced Scaffolder.

Trainee Scaffolders can do limited Scaffolding work and they must be Supervised at all times as and when they work.

Basic Scaffolders can work on Scaffolds without Supervision, but can only do certain types of Scaffolds LEGALLY.

Advanced Scaffolders can work on all and any type of Scaffolds, anywhere they need to be done and i believe they are also the only ones legally allowed to Supervise Trainee Scaffolders - though i could be wrong. :wondering:

Taining is over 2 weeks of 5 days each and after you complete an exam and show your able to put the jobs up to the standards of the training centre, then you will need to complete a Portfolio and then go back for a final assessment of either 1 or 2 days.

I add the word Legally alot and with good reason...
Where a ticket in Scaffolding, whatever type it is does NOT make you any better at the job, it does by Law cover you legally when you work.

Basically - If you was a Trainee Scaffolder and you was to Erect a Hanger and something was to go wrong and there was a serious accident because of it, not only would you be more then likely sacked, your employer and their on site Foreman on that job would also get a severe kick in the b0llocks. In worse cases they might even go to prison, should a death occur.

People will more then likely disagree with me, but in this day and age: No Ticket = No Work.
Its not fair, but its how things are and they are not going to get any better.

I would personally, if your really really really serious about Scaffolding go and get your Part 1, as its a foot on the ladder to becoming a qualified Scaffolder, but its not a game, not a joke. Its a serious and important job that if your not properly ready to get that ticket - dont do it.

Dont run before you can walk. :)

This Forum is action-packed with real good helpful and decent Scaffolders that will help you if you need any more info or have any more questions.

Good luck mate.

Jay.

Welcome Fuller89,

I'll pm you the senior instructors name and mobile no from Birmingham and he will give you all the info you need.

Hope Tony is still there!

Thanks for the comments.
The reason why I didnt no the difference is because ive never been told, I worked for my last boss for 5 years and he kept promising me my tickets, everytime ide ask him about details he would say that he would talk me through everything I need to no when the time comes. So he continued paying me tuppence, and making me do the work of an experience scaffolder. Then he went and died, so I'm left without a job, and all I know what to do is scaffolding, but haven't got any qualifications to back it up.

How inconsiderate.

All kidding aside Adam, it is unfortunate to have spent such a long time with a guy obviously uninterested in training his workforce. I reckon you are on the right track however late and if you get them to kick you off with your part 1 you should be ok.

I have taken on a few part 1's in my time with the last one telling me a similar story to your own and when I asked him about his experience he told me he had been working with Morrisons for the past year. I know this is my fault but I just assumed it was the construction firm but you guessed it, it really was the supermarket he worked at. My point being a more experienced employer would have known at least to ask and you might find gaining employment with just a trainee ticket might be more difficult than you would imagine.

There will obviously still be a few who may give you a kick off the ball but it's all about ticket's now.

Thanks for the comments.
The reason why I didnt no the difference is because ive never been told, I worked for my last boss for 5 years and he kept promising me my tickets, everytime ide ask him about details he would say that he would talk me through everything I need to no when the time comes. So he continued paying me tuppence, and making me do the work of an experience scaffolder. Then he went and died, so I'm left without a job, and all I know what to do is scaffolding, but haven't got any qualifications to back it up.

If you think that other bosses are going to be different, your in for a shock, lol.
Most are EXACTLY like that, ones that ive worked for anyway.
(I honestly wonder sometimes if they actually all go to the same: 'How to be a Boss and be a total c.unt whilst doing so!' seminars)

Sum: Pay the blokes f.uck all + Act like they are above everyone + Earn more and more profit = A happy boss. :notrust:

Its a shame he died... - no amount of being a cheeky b@stard boss deserves that and no one wants that, especially his family.

All i can say, that you have learned the very first lesson of being a Scaffolder. That is - Take EVERYTHING that your told by a boss with a pinch of salt - they are good at bullshiiting/blagging work off Clients, so they should be able to pull the wool over a humble Scaffolders eyes pretty easy, lol.

Also, NEVER EVER EVER wait for someone to do you a favour.
If you want to do something, like training to increase your money and job opportunities, then do it yourself and find out as much info about ways to get more qualifications yourself - just like i do. :)
Time you wait for someone else to help you, it'll be too late and decent jobs will have disappeared.

I still advise to get your Part 1, atleast it shows willing to learn and improve and will give you a starting foot on that ladder. :idea:

Totally agree with Jason on this one mate. IF you want to progress in this game the unfortunately tickets are the way forward. If you know one end of your spanner from the other & are prepared for a little bit of listening & revision for the theory side then the courses are easy enough. Your part 1 card more than likely won't open any doors for you & you will still be a glorified labourer but you have to have it before moving on to the basic card (part 2).
Don't wait for or expect employers to put you through these course as they are expensive, my part 2 cost roughly £1400 & that doesn't include the 2 weeks loss of earnings. The part 1 cost about £900/1000 as there is no assessment required for that one. It is a lot to shell out but they should pay for themselves in the long run, better opportunities, rates etc. Be aware though that these cards are just the tip of a fahooking huge iceberg of cards that us scaffolders need these days. :eek:

Good luck. Hope it goes well for you. :p

Having your cards shows that you are more professional than none carded men coz you have worked your nuts off to either pay for them yourself or have satisfied the boss (in more way than one) so much that he has botherd his arse to invest thousands of pounds in trainning you up.
This to me proves you are more keen, professional and therefore more imployable.
Although as discused before on this forum not always the best scaffolder are carded but at least the best they can be.

for being scaffolding 5 year you dont know alot .dont you work with scaffs with tickets who could of explained the difference between part one and basic ? sorry if i sound a nob but fook me what you been doing erecting yella jelly for ya local cowboy builder

Isn't there another thread titled "are scarffs thick c.nuts"?
Don't want to be harsh, but maybe this answers the question.

Top Bottom