Old one

guymac

Reaction score
Any one knows what is Legally a competent person to do the seven day scaff tag check .am I competent as part 1 and 2 ?

hi guymac this is a long shot but i reckon it is someone who has experiance with scaffold not nessercerily an erector but a tradesmen who has dealt with scaffold before.

Did it not used to be that if you were advanced you could go straight in at the advanced inspection course ?! But now you have to do the basic course first regardless.
You don't have to be a scaffolder to do the inspection course I think, which doesn't seem quite right as obviously a scaff knows what he's looking at/for opposed to a non scaff.

I might be wrong however ! :)

i just done my advanced inspection and there were lads from other trades on it . so the card doesnt matter. i think it changed recently

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

i hadnt done the basic one and i dont think the lads from other trades had either

There is not many things in this life I am 100% about but you are able to inspect the work to the same degree as your card, so if your a basic scaffolder you can inspect basic jobs and if you are an advanced scaffolder you can inspect advanced jobs. There are some dim witted managers out there who demand an inspectors ticket but for me they are just showing a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the regulations. Best to give the inspections a wide berth anyway and let someone else sign the tag.:idea:

There is not many things in this life I am 100% about but you are able to inspect the work to the same degree as your card, so if your a basic scaffolder you can inspect basic jobs and if you are an advanced scaffolder you can inspect advanced jobs. There are some dim witted managers out there who demand an inspectors ticket but for me they are just showing a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the regulations. Best to give the inspections a wide berth anyway and let someone else sign the tag.:idea:
so whats the point of the inspection course ?

aom is spot on,
the inspection course is extra arse covering,
there is a thread posted by simon hughes, simian, if you can watch the full video without loosing the will to live you will no what is accepted,(i will see if i can find it)

There is no point if you're a qualified scaffolder.

The only point would be a part 2 scaffolder having an advanced inspection card to sign off scaffolds covered on the advanced scaffold course - Which in itself would be pretty pointless...

lol,As usual,too quick for me phil,I started typing this as soon as I posted last one

Debate could rage on,but your dead right. Competency without qualifications,gets you no where. Especially as agencies are becoming the new bosses. Cant register with competency alone,unless youre a labourer.

The old definition of a competent person being one who has sufficient knowledge, experience and qualifications comes into play here, but employers are advised that recent assessed training is necesssary to demonstrate competence.

We all use competent unqualified people we know well, builders mechanics plumbers,so who decides your not competent,if youve spent a lifetime in the trade.

I fear you are fighting the tide Frederik. We all know different but some times it is just easier to float on the current.

Haha, Just trying to float on a twig of sense. Had that sinking feeling for awhile.

In any case I will still pay my unqualified mates to fix my car and boiler.

Top Bottom