Oh, my lord, the lords.

Sorry Paddy, I never read it all but got the general idea, I think it's about time these ideas were actioned to redress the balance and thought this quote summed it up pretty well.

I have covered only a few of the 40 or so recommendations contained in my report. There have been few criticisms of the report's content, save perhaps from a small minority of personal injury lawyers. I hope that over the next year the report's various provisions will come into effect and that health and safety will become less of a joke and resume its rightful place in the protection of people in the workplace. It is probably too soon to say but it is my impression that over the past few weeks there have been far fewer stories about health and safety in the press-I have noticed one or two other stories as well-but only time will tell.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

I think these guy's he is talking about here are working in my area.:D

When I first started my work, I assumed, as perhaps many in your Lordships' House would assume, that this was somehow all to do with intrusive legislation emanating from Europe. Alas, I found that this was not so, for much was home-grown, often not because of any laws or regulations but because of the practices adopted by unqualified consultants and untrained health and safety officials in both the private and the public sector. Unfortunately, the sometimes excessive recommendations of an untrained consultant were often followed to the letter, not because the client believed that they were appropriate but because they feared that if they did not follow the advice, their accident insurance policy might in some way be defective.

FFS Paddy

Thats a big chunk on information

Like aom I have the jist and will continue reading it when I have more time I have pulled out a section that I believe is very relevant

Baroness Donaghy (Labour)

My Lords, I welcome the opportunity to debate this subject. As author of a report for the previous Government last year on the underlying causes of construction fatal accidents, I see that the noble Lord, Lord Young, has tried to cut the Gordian knot in some of the same areas that I tackled: the role of insurance companies, the gold-plating by some paid health and safety consultants, and the need for a common set of qualifications for health and safety consultants.

In my contribution, I want to make a distinction between paid consultants and unpaid health and safety representatives, which I think is an important one. I pay tribute to the hundreds of thousands of trade union health and safety representatives who, over the years and with little appreciation, have helped to keep our workplaces safe.

In the discussion about proportionality and the need to do something about the jobsworth mentality and the killjoys, let us not forget that important work still needs to be done by unpaid volunteers who keep our thoughtlessness and carelessness in check.

Last edited:
Top Bottom