Oh my god

Zotsey

Reaction score
So I just rang CISRS and a training company in Warrington about updating my card. Have just found out that I'm basically a trainee scaffolder again ! Wtf. Because I have my nvq level 1,2 and 3 I can't get funding and my advanced card is as good as worthless ! I've got to say I'm gutted. At least I can hang on to my old card to prove I'm not a complete newbie. £1,060 for my part 1. The lady said everyone is in the same boat ! No consolation to me though. OMG

Last edited:
So I just rang CISRS and a training company in Warrington about updating my card. Have just found out that I'm basically a trainee scaffolder again ! Wtf. Because I have my nvq level 1,2 and 3 I can't get funding and my advanced card is as good as worthless ! I've got to say I'm gutted. At least I can hang on to my old card to prove I'm not a complete newbie. £1,060 for my part 1. The lady said everyone is in the same boat ! No consolation to me though. OMG

What type of Advanced card do you have CITB or ECITB

Citb mate. I asked if I could just do the health and safety get my cert and send them off to get a CISRS one back and she said no, I would have to do all the courses again !!!

Since 31.12.10 you cannot renew old CITB cards on a touch screen test as the scheme has been in place 10 years and the first ones to do it are now getting ther third. You will have to ring or write to CISRS address it to the scheme manager and you will have to appeal. This is the only way now.

Ian

dunno mate on that one but if I was writing I would be sending references

I could be in a spot of bother there because I've not worked as a scaffolder for about 8 years and I was self employed. The only reason I stopped is because my Mother got cancer and I needed a 9-5 job where I knew where I would be etc. I am a cecol lad though, residential at Bircham Newton and came out with V.high percentage passes

Have you been out of the game for 8 years Zotsey? Think you might find things have changed quite a bit since.

Yeah 8 years mate. Might be a good idea to do the courses again to get back up to speed with the new regs etc anyway. What concerns me though is money. Cuz obviously trainees don't get scaffolders money. But I will still have my old citb card so hopefully that will help

Hi Zotsey

The CITB and ECITB thing is such an ongoing issue. You might also like to contact SCCR (see their link over on the right) and Ragscaff who is the chairman, as the defunkt card issue is at the core of the SCCR.

However, not much consolation, but if you do go down the re-training route and have to pay, those course fees can always be offset against your tax when you do your tax return - thats whether you're CIS or PAYE.

Hope it works out ok for you.

Yeah 8 years mate. Might be a good idea to do the courses again to get back up to speed with the new regs etc anyway. What concerns me though is money. Cuz obviously trainees don't get scaffolders money. But I will still have my old citb card so hopefully that will help

The SCCR is asking for skills testing. You had an advanced card so you should be able to enter the scheme at part 2 at the very least. Cannot see why you should have to sit & learn what a double is!!

Stewart

Exactly Stewart. Honestly my jaw nearly hit the floor when she told me I'd have to start from scratch again. What was my 3 year apprenticeship for ? And the real kicker is if I'd done this just 6 months ago all I would have had to do is the touch screen H&S test. My own fault I know but it just doesn't seem fair when I'm obviously competent already, although I would have to brush up on the new regs etc. Thankyou all, I will look into all the useful info I've been given. One last thing Stewart, what does the skills test involve ? Is it scaffold erection practical or regs, slip test numbers etc ?

Depending on the level you wish to enter at. A days assessment theory & a practical test could be designed to show you are able to take the appropriate course. If it is felt you are not skilled enough they would then place you on the appropriate course.

This could be set up as an on site assessment.

Its not rocket science!

Stewart

Top Bottom