OH my days!

• Thread starter steveo south east
  • Start date
S

steveo south east

Hi fellas its proberly been written about before but some of are slow on the up take, so here goes if you have a twin beam inside and out should you put them on ledgers or should you put them on standards piggy backed,
I have had a discussion with a scaffold inspector he failed my scaffold on the basis that i have piggy backed my beams now the scaffold is a staircase on to a gantry about 6.5metres long there is no loadingas acces only and no dimensions on the drawing saying keep your beams 50mm apart or more.
my case is should beams go on standards or ledgers

Engineers are welcome to clarify this.

hey philo thats the problem the design doesn't

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

it show a ledger which i have always presumed was a check tie

Maybe contact the designer and have a chat about it , then tell the safety guy to phone the designer to confirm that what you have done works fine.

cheers phillo but i have never known beams go on ledgers( apart from temporaryroofs), what next life on mars!

I have seen lads do gantry's with the beams on the ledgers , but i have always put them on the standards and used the ledgers as a check like you say

Can you put a puncheon up on each corner,then a spur underneath,and get the designer to ok it?

Just check with the designer, theres no need for him to fail/comdemn the job, if its adequately tied and complies with the W@hr then its just a waiting game and 9 times out of 10 the designer will ok it anyway. Was the inspector a scaffolder?

Can you put a puncheon up on each corner,then a spur underneath,and get the designer to ok it?

like your thinking big fish but needs to go to floor

Just check with the designer, theres no need for him to fail/comdemn the job, if its adequately tied and complies with the W@hr then its just a waiting game and 9 times out of 10 the designer will ok it anyway. Was the inspector a scaffolder?

He only put it in a report and asked the designer to justify the piggy back. Phew!.

like your thinking big fish but needs to go to floor

He only put it in a report and asked the designer to justify the piggy back. Phew!.

Dont you just love the guessing game between designer and inspector,in my opinion all inspectors should be ex scaffs and take a common sense course before being allowed to condem a perfectly good scaffold:cry::huh:

Couldn't agree more i had an inspection from an sructual engineer 3 weeks ago at lords and he had no experience in scaffolding but he can read a drawing ,it makes your head explode sometimes

ha ha his words not mine as i don't do it that way

Top Bottom