Offshore Work

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Question for the current offshore boys.
When doing underdeck hangers is the old way of putting out 2 tubes like a double hand rail and using these to go out to fix your next supporting tubes on the steel and putting your dropper in still allowed? Or has it been outlawed and replaced by using other methods such as supadecks/youngmans etc?

Sling out a ladder beam, punch up off it fix to the under deck and repeat, bob's your auld auntie. I know it's been a while but do they listen to much as to what's happening on the beach? If they were thinking of banning anything it should be doing an underdeck of a youngman, always felt like Tom Daly preparing to do 3 somersaults with a twist.:eek:

Sling out a ladder beam, punch up off it fix to the under deck and repeat, bob's your auld auntie. I know it's been a while but do they listen to much as to what's happening on the beach? If they were thinking of banning anything it should be doing an underdeck of a youngman, always felt like Tom Daly preparing to do 3 somersaults with a twist.:eek:

That is what I am trying to ascertain aom. Its been a good few years since both of us have been out with the Tigers. You would still be on an inertia even with the beam method and with the harness being the last line of defence I was wondering if things had changed? Some of the youngmans have edge protection these days.

They may have changed the youngman again but the spandecks I have used that has edge protection would need a crane to lift in place, very heavy. I knew you wanted an upto date version but being honest I don't think there will be one. The rig boys are not interested in sg4 or tg20, far too many obstacles, I still think even the designs will still be done retrospectively, if at all. I suppose the maintenance crew could comply but couldn't see a shutdown or hook up being done by the book.

As ever, could be very wrong and as it's been awhile since even my mates have been out and I am interested to know myself now.

Yes mate, that method is still used amongst others, time is always taken to make sure all safety equipment is in the most suitable/practical location too.
I'm of the opinion that if an independent audit/inspection was carried out on most installations the inspector may struggle to see how SG4 is being adhered to as intermediate handrails are generally not in place when the Scaffold is complete.

The old shoot and run with the handrail is still alive most of the so called banned CRAP doesnt really come into play as much offshore.
I was last offshore last april and personally preffer the work as the so called rules do get a blind eye to a certain level.
The youngman is still widely used in the rig yards to do the underdecks of the semis although the wires with decks hooked on has been tryed but i personally think they are just bouncy castles as opposed to the fixed structure with safe access and egress which we HEROES OF INDUSTRY erect;)

I thought as much, I suppose it's why the pay is usually better than the beach as the scaffolder is still a useful commodity out there compared to the robots we are producing today.

SAD TO SAY IT but common sense and problem solving in Scaffolding only works offshore and the rigyards were its got to get done
NOT HOW CAN WE PUT OBSTACLES IN THE WAY OF THE JOB GETTING DONE as now seems to be the norm on sites that are policed by BUILDING CONTRACTOR so called health and safety experts;)

I would love to see a designer get his head round a hook up, they can't do the pipe work on a computer without loads of changes, what chance would they have figuring out what scaffold should go where and when?

Changing the subject slightly I recently had the pleasure of working with a Scaffolder on a hanger that used his podger hammer to put his doubles on.
You learn something everyday.

Offshore holland ?

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

AOM how many drawings did you get handed in the UIE on the bleoholm job
or in Arderssier i only ever got a chalk sketch on a bulk head at best the norm was follow that pipe and build to suit;)

No mate sadly not. On the UKCS using pressed steel fittings. And they weren't Bolton fittings either.

I was the exact same. I do remember brother Bobby pointing to one spot telling about 6 scaffs what he wanted. We all nodded our head and agreed yes yes we kookin know get tae fook and we will do your job. 5 scaffs climbed up in all different directions, this scaff just walked over to the smoke shed, pre JG obviously.

new style chinese copies do sometimes need to HAMMERED ON to be fair

seriously i would have seen the podger hammer as a warning sign :eek:

No mate sadly not. On the UKCS using pressed steel fittings. And they weren't Bolton fittings either.

What the hell was he trying to do there with a podger? Infact, what the hell did they let him on a rig with a hammer in his belt for?

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

new style chinese copies do sometimes need to HAMMERED ON to be fair

seriously i would have seen the podger hammer as a warning sign :eek:

haha, it is a jock thing.:laugh:

I know what your saying about the Chinese and Indian manufactured fittings, however in this instance they were fairly well serviced and didn't really need the bolt hammering into the gate ! I did ask why he bothered carrying the hammer considering he claimed he had only ever used tube and fitting and also pointed out that the fitting may work better if he used the traditional and more popular spanner method.

You can imagine the response and reasoning he replied with.

Another superstar !

Watching him use a tape to measure for boards was also interesting, but not as surprising as witnessing him jump off a low lift with his inertia reel still attached.

As for the hammer as a warning, I would normally agree, however over the last year I have met a lot of guys that are/were predominantly system scaffolders and are new to the offshore industry. What sets most of these guys apart from these hero's is their honesty, attitude and willingness to listen and take on board advice that is offered.

well said skyhook i dont do the your not a scaff if you use system
i was lucky to work with tube on the street and also system.
HONESTY is always the best policy,i will help/teach anyone as the saying goes
NONE OF US WERE BORN WITH A SET OF SPANNERS
although i did get a set for using the POTTY:eek:

Top Bottom