Offshore Advice

redsteven5

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can anyone please explain the procedure needed to start working offshore?

I understand there are certain "Tickets" involved.

Where can these tickets be obtained and how much are they.

Furthermore, is working offshore worth doing these days? What are peoples experiencies/advice to people that have never done this kind of work?
Im more associated with power stations/refinerys etc.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

you need to do a offshore medical, offshore survival, mist(witch you can do with the survival). usually a min part 2 scaffs ticket, a semi decent cv a lot of patience . the capability to ring or email the hr offices at least 5 times a week.(per company).not being bothered about getting paid off from November onwards till around march time. f"ked about with check-in times when you do get a start. and expected to get to Aberdeen within 20 minutes from the time some power struck girl at salamis, rbg puts the phone down on you ..run the risk of not getting off the platform because of bad weather some times days. and if your wages are wrong waiting for weeks for it to be put right by some 19 year old d1ckhead who does not give a f"ck

if you can put up with all the above then the offshore life is for you..lol

Hello Steve
You need to do you offshore survival and medical first as companies will not entertain you without this. There are a number of places throughout the uk that hold these courses, I don't have any number with me but if you go online they will all come up.
The main companies are
Salamis / Cape East / RBG ( old rig blast) all in abeerden all numbers can be found on YELL.com
Don't know what there are paying now but as you will find out of the lads on here thing are slow until about march / April time
Good luck

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

Good block offshorescaff

Offshorescaff, you missed out on missing every family get together due to being struck on some rust bucket, finally getting your time off only to discover all your mates are grafting and your hanging around with all the pensioners, slowly but surely turning in to an alcoholic due to the boredom factor on and off the rig, dreading the check in time over the phone knowing it will be 6.30 Wednesday morning and finally queuing like a school boy waiting for your scran at night and despite what they tell you if they can't get a boat in the grub can be reeking.

Anymore?

aom not a lot of places do good grub now, haha Red the only good thing is your 2 weeks off and thats if you get off in time, out of the last 13 trips only 3 times have i got off on the right day, and you do your 4 weeks work in 2 well hour wise

Im thinking of doing the Boiset/mist courses but live in North Wales, is this to far from any offshore location to be considered for work as Aom pointed out from what i understand they call you and want you there within 20 mins. Would i be wasting money doing these courses? I was hoping to do it and thought they would give you some time to get on location!! Any feed back would be gratefully accepted.

woodsie my mates work in the north sea and many of them stay in thialand,there are plenty welshes work the rigs good luck mate.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

aoms right they do at times need men to cover checkins but by and large you now get plenty of noticeof your checkin.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

aoms right they do at times need men to cover checkins but by and large you now get plenty of noticeof your checkin.

will i have to do the survival course if i have my bronze medal from school .

from my experience, i got offshore within 8 months of doin survival/medical etc.. some have been trying for a lot longer so be prepared for a long wait because you have not been offshore before, i left a job with 7 yr service to go offshore and guess what, i only got 5 trips and down the road i went, this is the norm some lads only get 1 or 2 trips, last year i got 6 trips, money not that good, unless ya do 3 week trip, but then ya only get a week off, ya might get lucky an get a good run on a rig its a lottery mate, ill not be goin back unless i have to.. good luck whatever you decide... genie

Top Bottom