Nylon Ties

aom

Reaction score
Without turning the thread into a sales pitch I was wondering who is using these, into what substrates and are you getting them to test to the 3:1 safety factor required by the CFA?

We have been using them for a while and like them as we think they suit multiple substrates, we have some of the self tapping bolts but can rip them to shreds forcing them into very hard stone so usually keep them for the softer stone or brick.

I know there is a similar thread but I wanted to put this on the main forum to get as wide a view as possible.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Also, forgot to ask what size and design of plug you are using and do you think bigger is better?

Seriously thinking about changing over these Aom as i have only heard good things about them , so when this last batch of Hilti anchors are gone i shall invest in some.

How do you attach yours Aom ? do you use a Propriety fitting , or a "pigtail" on a tube ?

i have used these nylon plus with small rings, and attached the with the hook fitting (bottom right pic of ADI ad)

found them quicker and easier to fit plus less time drilling plus the nylon plugs must be way cheaper than hilti bullets

I do the same as Mr B, Phil.

Mr B, what about the rest of the question, size design and test results?

Don't panic boy's I may have misinterpreted some vital info(no change there). I think they are magic not only in soft stone but granite as well which just rips the excalibur bolts to shreds even with an impact wrench. My worry for the last while was the guidance, why place an additional safety factor on these ties? It mentions creep but the manufacturer reckons 10 years to see any movement but the guidance says 2. The other confusing bit is the guidance says refer to manufacturers guidance which is totally different to the guidance. FFS, I've confused myself again.

The long and the short is we are getting test results of between 16-18kn which is fine for proof tests but falls short should we need preliminary tests but the manufacturer states they are suitable for stone as well.

I know I've read it wrong but has anyone been on the CFA web site.:weird:

We used to use a 20mm shield anchor with a 25mm eye hole years ago and tie it with a wire bond , they where the best ties i ever used you could see the ledger bend if you over tightened them

trying to get my new boss to use them as were still using hilti which are too destructive for what we use themfor

havent tested any before aom but there so simple to use

Agreed, and to be honest I couldn't even tell you the difference between the hilti and Apollo as I wanted the best and price didn't cross my mind. I spoke with a hilti rep as he was trying to sell some kit and whilst their drills are second to none my personal opinion is ties have moved on quite a bit in the last few years but hilti never.

As for the testing I may be getting a bit hung up on the testing regime and will have another go at reading it all tomorrow. :(

we use both apollo and Hilti, but to be quite honest, Apollo give a sure guarantee of their product, whereas, Hilti are apprehensive about how and what they guarantee, we have a problem with them at the moment where they will not guarantee a certain angle of fixing, whereas Apollo tested the same and put their name to it. They are also a lot cheaper than Hilti. The only good thing about Hilti are their power tools, they are undeniably the best and most durable. All other fixings can be bought elsewhere a lot cheaper and are just as good and guaranteed, especially when we are only talking low kn pullouts.

Used the apollo with Nylon plugs on a scaff last week 4m by 8 lifts was superb! won't be going back to Hilti ties anytime soon. quick and easy.

you can't put a hilti ring straight onto brick anymore, you need to use a steel plate with apollo fittings.

Some companys don't know this, need to update them selfs on tie's.

Top Bottom