Northampton Scaffold Collapse

May just be the way it has been filmed, but it didn't look that windy. Could have been a whole lot worse with so many people about.

You would think that being slap bang in the center of your local town, you would mate it a first class job. Whoever put it up should have their spanner removed and told to stick to labouring.

You would think that being slap bang in the center of your local town, you would mate it a first class job. Whoever put it up should have their spanner removed and told to stick to labouring.
It was in Corby shopping centre about two years ago. I have it on reliable information ( lad that worked for me was son of boss of companies best mate) that the roofers had removed some of the rakers and some of the parapet ties to get their capping on. The owner paid the fine as he couldn't prove this was the case and fighting a long protracted court battle would have been more expensive than the fine.

The title of the thread should read 'Northampton Scaffold Boss's Arse Collapses' (when served with hefty fine).

It was in Corby shopping centre about two years ago. I have it on reliable information ( lad that worked for me was son of boss of companies best mate) that the roofers had removed some of the rakers and some of the parapet ties to get their capping on. The owner paid the fine as he couldn't prove this was the case and fighting a long protracted court battle would have been more expensive than the fine.

Take pictures of everything.

Talking of pictures, weve been asked by our client on next job to take pictures of every tie that is installed and also to number then so they can keep a record of it. Has anyone had this on their jobs.??

Yes, but not many. We have also tagged a few individual ties but as they were pressure washing the walls they didn't last long. I reckon the most pointless exercise was when a 12 year old manager insisted on coming round with me to witness me testing the ties. He stood like a frozen snotter for hours as I tested them as I installed them.;)

Well, he looked 12 and had a 14 inch waist.

Talking of pictures, weve been asked by our client on next job to take pictures of every tie that is installed and also to number then so they can keep a record of it. Has anyone had this on their jobs.??
Yea, its called tg4:11. your supposed to test a percentage of all ties installed with a pull tester and record the evidence and results. Its good practice to tag the ties tested with a tag specifying the date , time , and tested load etc. You need to have completed an advanced scaffolders course or been specifically trained to do this though. If your using those Apollo ties with the big plastic wall plug you need to double them up ( every standard every other lift) as they are only classed as a light duty tie with a working load of 3.5kn as opposed to the old hilti m16 anchor ( concrete use only) 6.1 kn ( every other standard every other lift.

People fukin around with a perfectly sound scaffolding yet the scaff gets the blame, ties are crucial so should be covered with the pull test on a part 1 and you should make it law that you get a good amount of money as a scaff for putting them in, from the designers down if the money is there for them people will put them in and test them !!!

There was a guy on here that was going to charge firms to put ties in, cant remember the thread but think he was soon booed off that idea.

Pulling himself up on the coat tails of the lads that built the job. If no one uses them, these opportunists will soon disappear.

Exactley pete....thats why he was told to do one. Why pay someone to do a tie when were already qualified to do it.

Yea, its called tg4:11. your supposed to test a percentage of all ties installed with a pull tester and record the evidence and results. Its good practice to tag the ties tested with a tag specifying the date , time , and tested load etc. You need to have completed an advanced scaffolders course or been specifically trained to do this though. If your using those Apollo ties with the big plastic wall plug you need to double them up ( every standard every other lift) as they are only classed as a light duty tie with a working load of 3.5kn as opposed to the old hilti m16 anchor ( concrete use only) 6.1 kn ( every other standard every other lift.

Apparently, there is a rewrite coming soon due to new information that you don't need to make any adjustments for the nylon ties. Again, apparently, the creep is only an issue after about 10 years of use.

Top Bottom