No inside board = safety risk?

SteveW

Reaction score
Hi, now here is a classic catch 22 for you. We have just had a large scaffolding contract closed down by our clients external safety officer because the scaffold has no inside boards and therefore a gap which he deems unsafe. The reason there is a gap is our client asked us the adapt the scaffold for plastering by removing the inside board and pulling back the transoms.

Has anyone come accross this before? Does anyone know of any solutions, guidance notes etc. which allows for this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi, now here is a classic catch 22 for you. We have just had a large scaffolding contract closed down by our clients external safety officer because the scaffold has no inside boards and therefore a gap which he deems unsafe. The reason there is a gap is our client asked us the adapt the scaffold for plastering by removing the inside board and pulling back the transoms.

Has anyone come accross this before? Does anyone know of any solutions, guidance notes etc. which allows for this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Plasters could wear an harness not ideal but seen it done in the past.

steve w,i had a similar problem with council work,but it was adaption for tile hung.
we used lengths of 3 x 2 inch timbers to fill the gaps,clipped with singles.
we cut them to your board lengths,so we didnt have to add more trannies.
they stood for it.
balls ache i know but they might let you do it.
best of luck!

tbh ive always thrown in a single hand rail and it was confirmed by the client. there has never been a problem altho the plasterer has always worked around the trannys

Yeah we get it alot..weve been told that any gap bigger than 175mm must be handrailed and made smaller..

Thanks guys, looks like an inside handrail is the way to go, has to keep the safety officer happy, I just pity to pasterer.

Thanks again.

If the scaffold is erected to the clients requirements, give him a handover certificate to sign , on the certificate state the scaffold does not conform to the WAHR2005. Its then down to the client to come up with a safe method of work.

Inside handrail and toe board,plasterers can cope,Then get pc to sack saftey officer,he should know what the solution is.

NASC guidance note SG29:08 allows for a 1 board gap for plastering, etc, providing the client is informed and carries out a risk assessment for its use and applies appropriate measures, eg. briefing those using the scaffold. If the gap is wider, or there are openings for windows, doors, etc. then other measures are necessary such as internal guardrail / toeboard, restraint lanyards, etc.

Not ur problem m8 you are only being asked to supply a service...the SO should also know that nder the current CDM REGS it his responsibility to have done risk assesment & consulting with the plasters to come up wiv a safe system of works as per the WAH regs.then instruct you to provide this along wiv a method statement...so put the board back & tell the SO to coordinate with the MC over this obvious breach to the safe working system you have already employed

To be honest it should have even thought of orignally at the planning stage. We've just done a job and the PC hasn't a clue what e wants; it's constantly just fighting fires, they are definitely reactive, not proactive!

Inside hand rail they will have to work through it

yes thats the normal solution frenchy if not paye for a scaff on standbuy:laugh: you wouldnt leave a handrail off on a scaffold so you wouldnt leave a board off

I know there isnt a minimum gap but max gap is 225. Witdh of a board but when ya leave an inch or so between 2nd inside board and block work and then remove the 2nd inside board it will atek it past 225 like some have said lench of wood cut lenght of board is faster than doubble hand rail and toe board because if it needs handrailed it needs to be doubble hand railed and toe boarded no sutch thign as a single hand rail now, one site agente on a timber framed demanded he was getting a singles hand rail told him no chance are taher leave a 10 inch gap than put a single hand rail in i told him it needed to be doubble and toe boarded, he said the plasters would be able to there job this wasnt my problem he settled extending trannys slid out 25 mm and there joiners to ply it 25 mm ffs lol

Top Bottom