New Power Stations

simian

Reaction score
The energy ministry said on Monday it had approved a 1,500 megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in North Doncaster, as well as Scottish utility SSE's 108-MW biomass and waste power plant at Ferrybridge.

The modern gas-fired power plant, proposed by U.S.-based Acorn Energy, will be built on the site of an old coal-fired power plant at Thorpe Marsh, which was shut down in 1994.

SSE has proposed to fuel its new combined heat and power (CHP) plant at Ferrybridge with biomass, waste-derived fuels and waste wood on the site of its existing coal-fired power station which will shut down before 2016.

"These decisions are a further example of our determination to clear the back-log of planning applications, to stimulate growth and enhance our energy security," said Energy Minister Charles Hendry.

The one billion pound gas-fired power plant and SSE's 250 million pound project are expected to create over 1,000 jobs during construction, the ministry said.

More than 8 gigawatts (GW) of coal-fired power capacity will shut down in Britain before 2016 under an EU-wide directive which imposes limits for climate harming emissions.

This means new power plants to replace the loss in capacity need to quickly receive state approval to start construction in time for the planned closures.

The ministry last month approved the construction of a new biomass power plant in Wales and two weeks ago increased state subsidies for renewable energy sources such as marine and biomass.

Might rap offshore and work back home for a while then :) both them jobs are close enough for me!

lets be honnest any scaffolder thats been on the circuit for years dont need second hand news there in the tea room ready to rock and roll its called the little black book

spot on dico,hinklys got a refuel then its going into pre-shutdown then shutdowns feb to june i think.the accomadation block for hinckly c is well under way mate too.

hinckley point? the shutdown is already well underway on there mate, started couple weeks ago, theres about 6week left onit! dec 16th or so it finish.

There are 2 new bio fuel power stations to be built in our area (East Yorkshire) by a company called C. Spencer Limited from Barrow upon Humber.
1 is on the south bank of the Humber near Grimsby and 1 on the north bank in Hull.
I know the plans have been approved but I don't know when they are starting.

I didn't manage to get nuclear cleared in time for this shutdown that's why i'm asking when Hinkley C starts. I know a couple of scaffs on the accommodation block they we're the boys trying to get me on the shutdown. Hopefully i'll manage to get in there next year

There are 2 new bio fuel power stations to be built in our area (East Yorkshire) by a company called C. Spencer Limited from Barrow upon Humber.
1 is on the south bank of the Humber near Grimsby and 1 on the north bank in Hull.
I know the plans have been approved but I don't know when they are starting.

Hope they start soon, esp the Grimsby 1 because im rapping if rbg think im working christmas + new year again this year!

yeh just seen that on scaff mag, that will just be civils, main constructions not due to start untill october next year!

best of luck mate they are doing refuel and pre shut with 35 men,was thinking there would be more than double that too just have wait and see.

there will probably be 10000 applying for these jobs but atleast its starting to happen,unlike the longannet carbon capture.:cry:

Top Bottom