New in the trade

Linas888

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Could someone tell how long i should be a labourer in scaffolding before i do my part one? Thanks in advance:))

Hi Linas.

You've actually posted in completely the wrong section, but not to worry hopefully Admin or Scaffy will move it.

There's a lot of debate on this, some reckon as soon as possible, 6 months being the minimum that colleges ask you labour for and get it done. Others, especially the more old school scaffs will say you should do a minimum 3-5 years before even thinking about it.

Ask yourself whether you NEED it now, do you need it to get on site or expand your job opportunities? Or do you just want to learn a bit more about how it all works?

Welcome to the forum Linus, how long you labour for is like asking how long`s a piece of string if you are really keen to learn and digest everything then about 9 months to a year should do you fine, if you dont take any notice and think you already know it all get out of the industry immediately before you kill yourself or worse still someone else

the thing to do is work in a call centre or something , do your part 1, work in the call centre for another 6 months , do your part 2 , Then look for a job for a part 2 scaffolder and quit the call centre job

work in a call centre , do part 1 work in call centre another 6 months, do part 2 , look for a jobas a part 2 , quit the call centre job

1 year Humping gear then another year learning to fix , then your ready to go and take the part 1 with the confidence that you will p iss it , that is however in my opinion and some lads come on quicker then others

hi scaffy its pole cat been trying to ring you give wagon driver my number for tommorow make sure beams and four foots are on lorry

welcome, you should need 6 month before you go for part 1 but i have heard people going for part 1 having no expereance... wich i find is not right as scaffolding can be dangeres and you need to no the dangers so my advise is to stick in and lisin to you charge hand and dont take the piss if you are compatent and kean you will pick it up in no time! good luck mate

Hello mate.

Your query:

Hi everybody,

Could someone tell how long i should be a labourer in scaffolding before i do my part one? Thanks in advance:))

My advice:

Why are you going for your Part 1 with NO experience at all???
Surely you need to spend some time Labouring to get a grasp of the job?

And before you say that you have Laboured on site before... ---> Scaffolding Labouring, is far far more 'complex' then just sweeping up and picking up the odd fitting.

You need to learn exactly how a job goes up and what fittings a Scaffolder needs and why they are using that type of fitting, in that particular place, as well as tying tubes off on a Ginny Wheel and loading a Lorry correctly, blah blah blah.

Where i think that its good that your keen to get qualified in Scaffolding and you have shown initiative, you do need to start off at the bottom and start properly Scaffolding Labouring for about 2-3 years before you even think about doing your Part 1.

If you think that by getting your Part 1 you can turn up on site and start fixing, your not only going to be found out VERY quickly, you could also be putting people lives in danger. If you put up a bad job and others work on it and it collapses, they could be very seriously injured or even die.

My advice?
Save your Part 1 money, get a good pair of boots and a nice few pairs of gloves and get a job Scaffolding Labouring and in a few years, you should be properly ready for your Part 1.

Also, have a read of this: It'll give you as much info on how long you 'should' be doing work in Scaffolding, before you try to move up the ladder.

>>> Click here <<<

I hope this helps.

Jay.

Top Bottom