new generation

hemper

Reaction score
As scaffolders we are always learning new things in the game as we cant know it all, just wondering with regards to new starters in the game how long they should be training/learning for before they can actually call themselves scaffs. Obviously people are at different levels some adapt quicker than others but just wondering your views with regards to people you have trained or seen turn into good men and if so how long.

I think any scaffolder can either put up a good job or can put up a rough job. I think this has alot to do with pricing and costing. At the end of the day those scaffs are there to earn there money. Old saying was pay peanuts you get monkeys.
As for learning , everyday should be a learning curve. If we all knew everything then we would get bored very quickly. Don't know if any body on here would call themselves a professor in scaffolding. I certainly wouldn't do that ever but the working as a team is what gives scaffolders the laugh and crack that they always have. This team on the forum is growing faster everyday and long may it continue.

I think Steve summed it up pretty well there.

I always say that its a minimum of 5 years to be experienced enough.
Some do adapt and learn quicker than others, some want to learn, some dont and will never be a lead hand.
I see a fair mix on our company.
My own personal experience was quite good.
I was lucky to work with some very good hands in my early days working on a variety of projects but I do admit I learned a hell of a lot more when I went out on my own.
I always enjoyed working with someone who was keen to learn and get on and graft but it seems less lads are up for the challenge these days.

When I was a lad,blah,blah,blah!You did your stint of labouring, couple of years,allowed to use your spanner only when your chargehand or supervisor said so.Even when I got scaffs rate I was still expected to labour on the more experienced scaffs.Some taught you well ,others just screamed for more gear!In those days an ability to graft and have plenty of bottle was what counted.I feel these days it's harder to let say a labourer have a go,mainly because if something happens you'd get well and truly fu----!

I would say a minimum 5 years for basic, having mastered that moving on to the next level is easier. Always found that when you train a good young lad to sort out the gear, have it ready without been asked he's showing interest in the job, time to move him up a step. Put him in charge of the next young lad starting and let him train him in how to sort the gear. giving a young lad a bit of responsibility does him good, it pays in the long run.

Top Bottom