new firm any tips

jtb1980

Reaction score
hi there to you all been on here a couple of times been up and running on my own for 6 months now and going very well.just wondering if any one can recommend must do's for new ventures i have insurances citb no etc.. but wondered about nasc iso and all the others any info would be great help thanks guys james@flscaffolding.co.uk

Advertise, Advertise, Advertise!
Name boards and Company Named Monoflex on everything, Business Cards in every shop, bookies, pub, cafe, builders merchants, absolutely everywhere.

And it'll look professional to have your own Website and Compay name set up already. - You'll be surprised how many companies/customers use the internet nowadays.
I dont think ive actually phoned up for a job myself in about 5 years... its all emails and stuff.

More you get your name about, more your going to be remembered = more work will hopefully come your way. :)

And, when your big and successful, dont forget where you started and that everyone on your books was where you was and they could be where you are, if they had the money, luck and determination to make it work.

Thats what id do anyway.

cheers dude already done all the above and is working a treat just wondering about different organisations as i know my old boss who now hates me got a lot of work because of the nasc. getting more familiar with the computer not so dependant on the wife know figured out how to email just walked into the vat and tax mine field off to accountants tomorrow. just read your post on scaffold origins and very good

Its a long road with many pitfalls mate , slow down a bit and think before you leap.
The NASC cost money and there is prerequisite to joining , look on their web site all the info should be there. Have you been turned done for a job because you are not a member ?
what sort of work are you after ? The most important thing in any business is " Cash flow"
so how often will your customers pay you ? bigger firms are paying 30,60,90 days and most are always using excuses to not pay you on time. Some of my best customers are small painters and builders because they will pay you quick whilst there work isnt always big money it keeps your cash flow going. Roofers work is also good as they only usually want a top lift of boards so less boards.

my advice to you would be take pride in your work as that will be your best advertisement and try not to hire gear unless you really have to,

and remember there is a real danger of growing to big to fast

No problem mate.

There was a thread about the NASC here a few days ago.
For the life of me, i cant see what it actually does, but it must benefit a Firm, as almost all the big ones are in it.

The link to the thread is here: (click here) or visit their site for more info.

The National Access and Scaffolding Confederation - Nasc.org.uk.

Its a long road with many pitfalls mate , slow down a bit and think before you leap.
The NASC cost money and there is prerequisite to joining , look on their web site all the info should be there. Have you been turned done for a job because you are not a member ?
what sort of work are you after ? The most important thing in any business is " Cash flow"
so how often will your customers pay you ? bigger firms are paying 30,60,90 days and most are always using excuses to not pay you on time. Some of my best customers are small painters and builders because they will pay you quick whilst there work isnt always big money it keeps your cash flow going. Roofers work is also good as they only usually want a top lift of boards so less boards.

my advice to you would be take pride in your work as that will be your best advertisement and try not to hire gear unless you really have to,

and remember there is a real danger of growing to big to fast

not a truer word phillio.

Have you considered joining the SCCR? follow the link below.

Don't go for iso 9001 yet..cost lots of money ( depend on size of your business ) if u trading for 6months i think u will still in small business category and that cost about £3000 and about 700 every year thereafter( and to get it it will take about 6months to go through all stages)... and to be honest that's all about management regulations so it won't have big impact on your firm to get jobs... I had few clients asking about it but after short conversation I convinced them that experience and good idea about stuff u doing is more important...u will need that at some point when u go for big contracts but for now forgot about it... if u want to find out more about ISO anyway visit BSI: Standards, Training, Testing, Assessment & Certification

Hmmm we have iso 9001 & iso14001 and oshas 18001 each one cost £800 to do then £600 audit per year

Personally think is a load of bllocks but gets work in

it took us about 2 and a half years to get the cash flowing, thick you are better off with smaller companys than the bigger ones we get loads of hassle off the couple of big companys we do work for wanting you to do this and that for nothing, thicking you owe them something for giveing you work, if i could get half a dozon more small companys i would tell them to shove it, do not put all your eggs in one barsket mate, we have stickers what some of the builders we do work put on the backs of there vans and banners on every job do not matter how smaller job, and i fined some of the smaller jobs with banners on get you more work, sign writeing on wagons, do not get a lot of work from yellow pages for how much it cost we are now getting a web site done like someone said a lot more uses the internet now a days

Hi guys thanks for all your info think from your responses I'm going about it all the right way been working long hours all days and weather just took first guy on and things running very well as am fully booked till November like phil stated all my work is mainly roofers painters solar stuff very few builders as gear sits there for a long time and needs more than 1 visit to do the job on got one real big job on but counted that to increase stock. Very grateful for all responses it is hard work but will keep buying stock not stickers at the moment cheers guys

Offer a small discount if invoices are paid within 14 days , you`ll be surprised what a 5% saving can do :)

Good luck with it, jtb.

If you need another opinion about your tax/ NI/ company payroll, website and beyond, you can always give us a shout :).

Top Bottom