new european wind codes

daffy

Reaction score
we have received a letter from the NASC telling us that 'due to the new European wind codes, certain tables in TG20:08 are now invalid and ARE NOT TO BE USED'.NASC are apparently going to advise all members 'shortly' of the new amendments. In the meantime they suggest that the 'tables can be determined from the first principles'.
Will somebody please tell me what this means, as I am totally baffled . I believe there is a legal boy on here,and if you read this, please advise on what this jargon means, and where we would stand in a court of law if a scaffold were to blow down due to us not adhering to NASC guidelines by determining the tables from the first principles.It won't but hat's not the point, we are expected to carry out NASC guidelines to the letter.
Am I missing the point or has anyone else not understood what it means

I think it is just to let you know they are updating the codes and to carry on using then in the mean time.

The first principle is seen as engineers design from scratch not to base it on the guide. I know Ben may come on and explain it better. The tables are in volume 2 I recall and do you do as a business much scaffolding using the tables in volume 2? Volume 2 is more of a guide for designers.

Ian

Well that's me told.:D

I use the Cads system to prove safe heights, I take it that is of no use until they update that as well?

I would imagine cads is already working to the new wind code although I would ask

At the risk of sounding like a smart@ss, it took them long enough to actually produce TG20. How come it is out of date already???????

Tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems to be like another SG4 balls up. Updates every 3 or 4 years.

Am I right in thinking that the old BS5973 stayed virtually unchanged for years with the exception of the introduction of double handrails?

No BS5973 was around a good 30 years and last revised in the 90's. When TG20 came out last in 2008 it was based on the existing wind code of 6399 and this has now changed as Europe again don't like to stand still. Hence the change, TG20:13 will be out again in 2013 and a lot more user friendly incorporating a lot more designs and less grey areas.

No BS5973 was around a good 30 years and last revised in the 90's. When TG20 came out last in 2008 it was based on the existing wind code of 6399 and this has now changed as Europe again don't like to stand still. Hence the change, TG20:13 will be out again in 2013 and a lot more user friendly incorporating a lot more designs and less grey areas.

and another 2 day inspection course

Top Bottom