new buisness

ray.venus

Reaction score
hi

this is my first post so if it is a regular one go easy. right i have just started a company and i have some legal stuff but what do i really need i.e. technical manual company policy rescue plan risk assessment method statement blah blah blah. what else do i need and where can i get all this from
thanks

Hi mate and welcome. I think the answer to your question is what dont you need to run your company ? Get hold of health and safty mate you will be shocked to know how much work is envolved in starting up now days. Though hardly any firms out there have followed HSE.Though if you dont try mate, and get your buisness in order and you do have an accident, they will throw the book at you.Get a Helth and safty policy made up for your company and read it and get it into place.It will give you all the main working policys ect. Good luck and keep at it mate. The best advise i can give you.Your just about to find out its not all rosey being the boss man.its been 13 years for me and its the bigest game of chess all the way. Dont give up. good luck

Hi i love fridays

thanks for that some reason i never even thought about contacting the hse.
i am trying my best to get everything in order but it boggles my brain especialy whilst tyour trying to get work and do work tough going!

Hello Ray and welcome to the forum mate you will need a hell of a lot of stuff in time , but first.
1. what type of work are you after ?
If its small work then people are only interested in the price.
If its bigger sites then you will need , Public Liability and employers insurance, Method statements and risk assessments , a full health and safety policy , and all the other paperwork you see on sites.
2. Wages for your lads until YOU get paid (at least a month minimum)
3.Transport (lorries )you will need an operators licence and lorry insurance
4.Yard to store and service your kit
5. Advertising ,website etc .
6 Bank account (business)

good luck with it mate :)

hi

this is my first post so if it is a regular one go easy. right i have just started a company and i have some legal stuff but what do i really need i.e. technical manual company policy rescue plan risk assessment method statement blah blah blah. what else do i need and where can i get all this from
thanks

I can give you an SMS if you like its based on arable farming though as I had to do this when I did my BSc in H&S. The principles are the same you just change them for scaffolding. Or you can obtain a copy HSG 65 for free from this link Successful health and safety management - HSG65 this will give you guidance if you need any other stuff PM and if I can help you I will

If your starting as a sole trader you will need PL insurance. If your gonna have anyone else working for ya you will also need EL insurance. If your starting a ltd company then contact companies house to get a name. If you done all that you will have to sort out the tax side of things open a company bank account and start trading. If you know about scaffolding and competent then you shouldn't have to much trouble with hse unless on sites. As far as method statements and risk assesment just put it on paper in a fairly pro way and hope for the best. I started up a few years ago and now busy all year round and looking to expand this year with more staff. I still don't know what I'm doing but I'm doing ok. This forum is the best thing for me (and you) cos of the great advice. I've been scaffolding more than 16 years and feel like I'm learning more about it every day cos of forum. Sorry bout the rant but I snowed of.

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum, you'll find all the posters here are good guys.
If there is anything we can help with in terms of setting up your company, your wages/CIS payments to staff/subbies or how to go about it, please don't hesitate to contact us... We are in the process of setting up just such a service - for people exactly in your situation - As it is a bit of a minefield and frankly a total distraction for good tradesmen being able to get on with what they do best; however we do offer free advice to all Scaff Forum members.

In the meantime here's wishing you good luck from all at Bettertax.org :)

hi

thanks

hi ray, i can put you in touch with someone on here that can do your health and safety policy, risk asessments and method statements, let me know if your interested mate:)

Welcome and wish you the best of luck Ray. All good advice from the lads, just to add my bit, keep an eye on your overheads, get your pricing structure right and a good tax advisor. It's reckoned most new start up companies fail in the first year or two due to tax problems so keep an eye on that.

Welcome Ray,follow all the lads advice you wont go to wrong,my best advice is dont sell your self to cheap.it can take a long time to get your money up to the profit level if you do go in cheap.the client will have a long memory.only you will loose this way.The very best of luck.

Top Bottom