Need some advice

BrizzleJordan

Reaction score
Hi, I am 18 and hope to become a scaffolder, where would you suggest starting?

Also does anyone know any good companies, training courses in Bristol that would be worth looking in to? I have on site experience doing some Carpentry but would like to get into Scaffolding.

Thanks.

No offence mate but i'd stick to carpentry. Now money in it now unless you work 28 hrs a day 9 days a week.

No offence mate but i'd stick to carpentry. Now money in it now unless you work 28 hrs a day 9 days a week.
The problem with it is I want to go on and a work in a team every day at work as that is what I enjoy, Carpentry once self employed is obviously a single man job which I feel I would get fed up of rather quickly.

No nothing wrong with that, I felt like that a bit myself when I worked on my jack jones for years for a local building company and when I finally took the leap on to bigger jobs I loved working in a big team of scaffs.

I would say as with anything worth doing it can be tough at times but you will be rewarded if you have patience and are willing to graft. There are quicker more expensive ways of getting into the game but if I were you I would hawk myself round every scaffold firm and see who is willing to give you a start as a labourer, leave the training alone for a bit anyway. The first couple of months will see you crippled but if you stick it out you can move on from there. Good luck.

No nothing wrong with that, I felt like that a bit myself when I worked on my jack jones for years for a local building company and when I finally took the leap on to bigger jobs I loved working in a big team of scaffs.

I would say as with anything worth doing it can be tough at times but you will be rewarded if you have patience and are willing to graft. There are quicker more expensive ways of getting into the game but if I were you I would hawk myself round every scaffold firm and see who is willing to give you a start as a labourer, leave the training alone for a bit anyway. The first couple of months will see you crippled but if you stick it out you can move on from there. Good luck.

good advice

Thanks, i'll ask about all my local firms for some labour work and prove to them i'm keen and hopefully get some training sorted arranged after.

Training will come with the job, onsite training that is... official training wont be for some time.

Just dont kill yourself and try to be aware of your limitations. Just because the other Scaffolders can do this and that, dont mean your ready to do so - yet. ;)
Ive worked with Scaffolders with 40 years under their belts and they tell me they are still learning. Theres no rush.

Click here for a link to The Fully Comprehensive Guide to Scaffolding, its action packed with info that you might want to read. :)

To get onto most sites you will need a CSCS card.
Its about £25 or something and a minimum requirement for most Firms. If you show a bit of initiative, it will go along way with any possible employer.

The link to a site that provides CSCS cards is here >>> click here <<<.
Not the only place you can do it, but 1 of many.
Gooooooooooooooooooooogle search 'CSCS Card' and you'll get loads of results.

Theres good guys here, willing to help you anyway they can.
Ask them, if you need any help mate.

Good luck.

Jay.

Training will come with the job, onsite training that is... official training wont be for some time.

Just dont kill yourself and try to be aware of your limitations. Just because the other Scaffolders can do this and that, dont mean your ready to do so - yet. ;)
Ive worked with Scaffolders with 40 years under their belts and they tell me they are still learning. Theres no rush.

Click here for a link to The Fully Comprehensive Guide to Scaffolding, its action packed with info that you might want to read. :)

To get onto most sites you will need a CSCS card.
Its about £25 or something and a minimum requirement for most Firms. If you show a bit of initiative, it will go along way with any possible employer.

The link to a site that provides CSCS cards is here >>> click here <<<.
Not the only place you can do it, but 1 of many.
Gooooooooooooooooooooogle search 'CSCS Card' and you'll get loads of results.

Theres good guys here, willing to help you anyway they can.
Ask them, if you need any help mate.

Good luck.

Jay.
Thanks, I understand training is something that in theory you will always do until you retire as you always learn, I am patient and am prepared to wait as long as it may take to get my qualifications. I will look into this health and safety CSCS card and if I could get that hopefully it would benefit me when going to firms looking for some experience to get me started.

What are your reasons for enjoying it and is it a well paid job? Thanks

im sorry but these responses almost sound like industry endorsed speeches to new entrants in the game: BRIZZLEJORDAN , dont kid yourself anybody else who wants in the game is gonna do what it says here , 1. GET YOURSELF BOOKED IN FOR PART 1 , NOW, even if you have no job , even if u watch jeremy kyle every day , ONCE DONE THE PART 1 , THEN GET YOURSELF A JOB , AND GRAFT LIKE A ************ , THEN BOOK PART 2 , DO THAT, IN 2013 if the world hasn't ended , you can/will be a part 2

i expect lots of replies to this , BUT the above is not against the rules, its perfectly ok , its just that people dont want that , they want you to knock your **** in for years on **** money, BECAUSE URE LEARNIN, GO ON brizzlejordan , be a part 2 by next year

im sorry but these responses almost sound like industry endorsed speeches to new entrants in the game: BRIZZLEJORDAN , dont kid yourself anybody else who wants in the game is gonna do what it says here , 1. GET YOURSELF BOOKED IN FOR PART 1 , NOW, even if you have no job , even if u watch jeremy kyle every day , ONCE DONE THE PART 1 , THEN GET YOURSELF A JOB , AND GRAFT LIKE A ************ , THEN BOOK PART 2 , DO THAT, IN 2013 if the world hasn't ended , you can/will be a part 2

i expect lots of replies to this , BUT the above is not against the rules, its perfectly ok , its just that people dont want that , they want you to knock your **** in for years on **** money, BECAUSE URE LEARNIN, GO ON brizzlejordan , be a part 2 by next year

You will get no argument from me JB and as I said there are more expensive ways to get in to this game but although I am not on the jobs page often I have noticed a steady rise in the amount of part 1's chasing that elusive job in Dubai for 2k a week. I have no vested interest in how anyone gets into the game especially since I paid for my own training to try and get ahead but surely sending a young boy on his part 1 who has never held a spanner is a disaster waiting to happen?

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat and as you say it can be done but for me experience is required to get the best out of your time at the training centre's. If you want to spend your cash and take all the short cut's going you can fire on for me.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

A perfect case in point.

http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/scaffolders-forum/16821-scaffolders-wanted-urgently.html

You will get no argument from me JB and as I said there are more expensive ways to get in to this game but although I am not on the jobs page often I have noticed a steady rise in the amount of part 1's chasing that elusive job in Dubai for 2k a week. I have no vested interest in how anyone gets into the game especially since I paid for my own training to try and get ahead but surely sending a young boy on his part 1 who has never held a spanner is a disaster waiting to happen?

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat and as you say it can be done but for me experience is required to get the best out of your time at the training centre's. If you want to spend your cash and take all the short cut's going you can fire on for me.
I understand where you are coming from, however i've used tonnes of power tools and spanners. Even though I can comfortably do things such as hanging doors and fitting kitchens I am worried about my job satisfaction later down the line. I agree with you though that doing it the steady way is probably a better idea.

It's entirely up to you brizzle. There are some right horror stories on here about guy's grafting their knackers off for years and not getting anything out of it. I'm not sure who I blame more for that but I do find it disgraceful whatever the reason. I run a wee outfit and any new start is sent for his first card within 3 months and start a recognised apprenticeship scheme after 6 months. All I would say is make it clear you are looking for a clear training route and in return you are willing to work hard, don't accept excuses and you will be ok. Speak to the lads who are already with the firm, if there is a que a mile long with guys waiting for their promised training bail out before you waste too much time.

All the best with your endeavours and let us know how you go.

It's entirely up to you brizzle. There are some right horror stories on here about guy's grafting their knackers off for years and not getting anything out of it. I'm not sure who I blame more for that but I do find it disgraceful whatever the reason. I run a wee outfit and any new start is sent for his first card within 3 months and start a recognised apprenticeship scheme after 6 months. All I would say is make it clear you are looking for a clear training route and in return you are willing to work hard, don't accept excuses and you will be ok. Speak to the lads who are already with the firm, if there is a que a mile long with guys waiting for their promised training bail out before you waste too much time.

All the best with your endeavours and let us know how you go.
Thanks, that is what I will look to do, try and gain my health and safety CSCS card and then enquire to all my local firms for a bit a labouring to prove my work rate which would hopefully get me some training under my belt.

useful and helpful info as always AOM , i just see it form the young scaffs point of view , who get grafted for pennies , although its this same young guy who eventually gets his part 2 and still works for rubbish money and helps to **** up the industry , good luck brizzlejordan whatever way you go , by your posts you seem to know the time of day, sure you'll do well

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

ps: watch out for jobsworths , i just got bagged for emptying out a paint tin of water off the scaffold , then dropping the tin in a secure, safe place , couldnt make it up

To be honest JB, I see it from the young scaffs point of view as well and as I am responsible for training them why would I ever advise them to spend a fair chunk of change on something that more firms should be doing? I think we are off the same mind but just attacking it from different angles.

Another thing, I would have been bladdered off every site I was ever on if that was a sacking offence especially in the early days. I always took great delight in turning the boards with all sorts of crap on them with bonus points if you could hit the erse that left it behind.

Brizzle, good advice from everyone so far pal, but if you were to get a start with a small local firm, ,the training can expensive, especially at the moment with everyone tightening belts. Where are you based? the reason i ask, is that a training provider up here in t'north, Simian at Warrington run a citb funded full blown scaffolding apprentice scheme, and if the firm you work for pays levy to the citb, (small firms with a wage bill under £80,000 are excempt from paying levy but can still take advantage of citb funded schemes, just so you know chaps!:bigsmile:) will pay for your training, and the digs. I've got a young lad there at the minute and he loves it, there are lads there with him from all over the north and the midlands. The same gang of lads will stick together right through the scheme. I think It takes 2 years to complete the scheme and you will be at college for a 2 week stint every 3 months. Something for you to look in to pal. BUT i've got to say to you, yes the crack is brilliant with the right lads, but first and foremost you've got to be prepared to graft pal. I go to work to make money not friends, friends you pick up along the way with the same work ethic as your self are a bonus, but there are plenty of lazy tossers knocking about that want a wage for just turning up at the yard. Stay clear of these boys because you will get tared with the same brush! Just keep plugging away and grafting, even if you think no-one is taking notice of you and your working for nowt, but trust me when i say this, i grafter does get noticed, the training and knowledge will come with time but that work ethic needs to be there from the start, and if you make whatever company you work for money, then 9 times out of 10 you will get looked after.

Top Bottom