moving to system scaffold

archibald

Reaction score
is there a move towards system scaffolding do people think with the new regs. and site planning

ie with all the thought into joiners in bays

sways across three bays

weight of manual handling

handrails in first ( possibly easier with 2.5 m components and shorter hemps )

very little time for scaffold to be erected on site schedule ( eg brickies off and wanting to work on scaff next day, or chippies finishing a floor then next delivery day after tomorrow for panels

bracing in working lifts ( entering to dispute with brickie about taking braces out)
im interested to see other opinions

Last edited:
Hi archibald and welcome to the forum mate.

The new regs may seem like a shift towards system and that is probably due to the European regulation BS EN 12811-1 coming in to replace BS5973, and with coming from Europe where system is prevailant, this shows in the regs.

TG:20 is a tube and fitting based take on these regs. Many of the problems you site can be overcome in tube and fitting, although it is obviously easier in system.

I think there is a shift in the industry more towards system, but with the sheer volumes of tube and fitting, and it's adaptability and versitility we will never totally phase it out.

thanks for info about regs ..i thought that to be the case

also manual handling and the weight and length of 21s

also as i said quickness of system to meet ever so shortening site programs

i find it really difficult to base out with a 21 on the inside ledger then 13 on the out to stagger the ledger for safety officer. All seems such a pain.....or splicing the joints to overcome it

thanks for info about regs ..i thought that to be the case

also manual handling and the weight and length of 21s

also as i said quickness of system to meet ever so shortening site programs

i find it really difficult to base out with a 21 on the inside ledger then 13 on the out to stagger the ledger for safety officer. All seems such a pain.....or splicing the joints to overcome it
If suitable for purpose, system would be quicker therefore cheaper in man hours. Regarding weight of 21's, they are lighter now than they used to be. Staggering joints in ledgers / standards should be done whetever the S/O is watching or not, can't rely on sleeves all in the same bay. There could be an arguement for standards in system to be staggered would lead to a more rigid structure, surprised its not been looked at.

iv had many years staggering from lift to lift but not so much on the base out with diff size ledgers inside and out
i just think system scaff is where it is all heading

why cant you just put your 4th standard on one of the the ledgers on the other side of the sleeve , standards are a bit out of line but gets you out of trouble : )

i am tube and fitting all the way , i hav used all systems and to be fair they are all crap and with the nasc being the only people the hse listen to with regard to scaffolding and majority of nasc members are t&f companys, also the tie patterns and the changes in jan it wud be impossible to do a decent job wid system ie hilti ties every lift every upright not practical

If suitable for purpose, system would be quicker therefore cheaper in man hours. Regarding weight of 21's, they are lighter now than they used to be. Staggering joints in ledgers / standards should be done whetever the S/O is watching or not, can't rely on sleeves all in the same bay. There could be an arguement for standards in system to be staggered would lead to a more rigid structure, surprised its not been looked at.

Yes mate quicker to erect generally, but hire charges need to be much higher for system scaffolding - so could easily outweigh lower wage costs on a scaffold with a long hire period.

why cant you just put your 4th standard on one of the the ledgers on the other side of the sleeve , standards are a bit out of line but gets you out of trouble : )

thats clever i shall think about that.........

how about my braces in the lift problem ? is the only answer readylok

or system ?

phil181

I think archibald is refering to his original post regarding scaffolds without braces.

archibald

There is a scheme within TG 20 where braces can be removed from 2 lifts, however it requires more ties, plan bracing and I would imagine it's a nightmare to monitor. By far the best route to go down would be readylok, but here's a question is readylok a system or not?

no i don't believe so............

doesn't readylok have a smaller tie pattern i seem to remember reading somewhere ?

Scaffy is the readylock expert on here.

Top Bottom