Minimum width

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Most of us on the forum understand that TG 20:08 provides "Technical Guidance".
In Section 11.1 it states that the minimum width for men without materials or only for the passage of materials is 500mm (3 boards). It also adds a note that where internal ladders are incorporated minimum clear width may be 430mm (2 boards).
My question is if it is acceptable to have 2 boards shouldn't that really be the minimum width?

No not really SP. Interesting question is being raised.
Main contractor's scaffold procedure is based on TG20:08 although it does state if an anomaly should occur then the BS being a higher standard takes precedence.
Now all scaffolds requiring a design need approval from client and main contractor before erection can begin.So a contractor submits a design with a 2 board working platform and this is approved by both client and main contractor. Now a third party has said this does not comply with the 3 boards as in procedure and TG 20. My argument will be that approval means that the client/main contractor was aware and have ok'd the design and overidden their procedure. What do you think?

I would agree with the client and main contractor having passed the said drawing then whats the issue.Maybe the 3rd party wants to be advised that due to its faults the GUIDELINES are getting re-done as we speak/type.;)
what does the 3rd party have to do with it anyway ?

Had the very same trouble, and the HSE told me that if you can only safely get two boards into the area of works then thats all you can do "reasonably practicable". We have it all the time where we work as the scaffolds go up in between bits of plant that were built without any concept about how you are supposed to access them when they break down. Tell them to p*ss off and get the HSE

Most of us on the forum understand that TG 20:08 provides "Technical Guidance".
In Section 11.1 it states that the minimum width for men without materials or only for the passage of materials is 500mm (3 boards). It also adds a note that where internal ladders are incorporated minimum clear width may be 430mm (2 boards).
My question is if it is acceptable to have 2 boards shouldn't that really be the minimum width?

If it was me I would build a proper ladder tower,then you would have proper access on every lift.

There is a separate ladder access tower every 20 metres. It provides access to a 5 board wide cantilever off steel at 7m level then access to another scaffold at 7m level which has a two board walkway then a steel section then a 2 metre platform between the first steel section and a second steel section then a 4 board wide cantilever the other side of the second steel section which also has its own ladder access.

There is a separate ladder access tower every 20 metres. It provides access to a 5 board wide cantilever off steel at 7m level then access to another scaffold at 7m level which has a two board walkway then a steel section then a 2 metre platform between the first steel section and a second steel section then a 4 board wide cantilever the other side of the second steel section which also has its own ladder access.

Now if you had explained that in the first place,i would not have needed to reply spanners.

Had the very same trouble, and the HSE told me that if you can only safely get two boards into the area of works then thats all you can do "reasonably practicable".

I think this is really the way as without being on site & knowing your client fully it looks like this is gonna be one of those where your damned if you do & damned if you dont...tbh i have done 2brds many times (when it suits me & the enviroment)....but would always argue & try for min of 3

Morning Guys,
customer approval is normally limited to "yes it looks like what I want and it looks like its on the right building" however the "compliance" of the scaffold with the code remains the scaffs responsibility.
regards Alan

And the scaffold complies with the minimum 500mm as required in TG20:08. Obviously it must do otherwise the design would not have passed the scrutiny of the main contractors scaffolding department unless they were just signing approval of designs without actually looking at them?

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Its the 500mm and the 3 boards that confuses people.

HSWT couldnt agree more the wording of the Guidelines(which is all they are) which causes the confusion,especially when decyphered by a non Scaff;)

And the scaffold complies with the minimum 500mm as required in TG20:08. Obviously it must do otherwise the design would not have passed the scrutiny of the main contractors scaffolding department unless they were just signing approval of designs without actually looking at them?

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Its the 500mm and the 3 boards that confuses people.

TG is indeed guidance only, however if it is specified in the providers or customers paperwork and agreed to it is a contractual agreement and no longer guidance.
Your scaffold may or may not be in compliance and may or may not be be enough to do the job butnas previously said it is not the customers responsibility (should they have a scaffolding department or not) to ensure compliance it is the providers.

Should there be a problem good luck getting anything less than the recognised industry standard based upon the industries own interpretation past the HSE or equivalent.
regards
Alan

Top Bottom