Maybe you should be carded to buy the stuff.

aom

Reaction score
We picked up a potentially lucrative contract last week that hopefully will allow us to plan ahead for a change. The only trouble is we got it from a good enough scaffolder who was doing a good enough job. I got a call mid week for an emergency which is fair enough. They had been given a bullet from some safety guy or other about the state of their scaffolds and wanted some help to reinstate them and build more. It turned out, the scaffolder built them all pretty much mint but one thing lead to another and one wall was rotten and had to come down so it was left with no ties in it then they decided to undermine it by digging a big whole for the new foundation next to the scaffold and some standards collapsed in to their trench. There was a design scaffold supporting the roof whilst the back wall was missing, and they just decided to board it despite the drawing showing it as an unboarded dead shore. They wanted us to extend it and spur it up, ffs I don't mind helping out anyone but get a grip.

They bang on about training scaffolders, but they really should have some sort of training requirement before allowing some of these builders permission to even own scaffolding let alone build it.

Last edited:
6 to 12 months your qualified cisrs dont care as long as they get there money but the cracks are starting to show

The scaffolder was not the problem Dico, other than he bit off more than he could chew when problems arose. It was a management problem, but the scaff still carried the can.

witch ever company/grounderworker as dug that close to a scaffold is in the wrong digging a meter down= a meter away from the scaffold and should state that in the method statment but as a scafolder he should have made it safer putting temp ties in like sprags ect

I've ran into this sort of ball breaking hypocricy so many times before aom. They give it all the patter about H&S but will happily turn a blind eye to any 'alterations' provided it keeps them on target. If the proverbial **** hits the fan however, you can bet your arse it's the scaff that takes the hit. Sickening really.

witch ever company/grounderworker as dug that close to a scaffold is in the wrong digging a meter down= a meter away from the scaffold and should state that in the method statment but as a scafolder he should have made it safer putting temp ties in like sprags ect

The scaff was off site Oiley, I'm not saying he was blameless I think the job just got away from him as it went from one disaster to another. The management are blaming him as he wouldn't come back as the problems were developing, they just went ahead and butchered the job then exacerbated the problem by undermining it. The scaff shouldn't need to write RAMS for the whole site.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

I've ran into this sort of ball breaking hypocricy so many times before aom. They give it all the patter about H&S but will happily turn a blind eye to any 'alterations' provided it keeps them on target. If the proverbial **** hits the fan however, you can bet your arse it's the scaff that takes the hit. Sickening really.

Agreed, I have had managers from the so called nationals asking nae begging me to do some guff or other, willing to pay top dollar. They usually get the shock of their lives when I explain money is not my main motivation anymore and only do it one way now.

We are taking over this particular contract but it may not last.

aom not like you to have a moan ;) has it been raining again :wondering:

I carry out independant scaffold inspections for main or principle contractors.

My reports contain sections of missuse of scaffolding,including excavations, adaptions from last visit (who did them) and missuse of ladders,stairways,load bays

They (P.C.) do not like their shortcomings being highlighted in my reports.Much rather I blame the subby scaffolder outfit.When in most cases you can see it is poor management practice.

I have lost clients with my practice of putting the blame where it belongs.

It seems you have come in contact with an "in house H&S rep"

funny you mention it Rigger but it has been dampish today.:)

I'm glad you lay the blame where it belongs, I don't think they realise just how obvious it is to spot but we still take as many pictures as possible to prove how we left a job.

I also agree with you about rather let a client go elsewhere if he has no interest in doing it right or about taking responsibility for their own shortcomings.

I may also be wrong, but I think the H&S guy was local authority.

aom not like you to have a moan ;) has it been raining again :wondering:

I carry out independant scaffold inspections for main or principle contractors.

My reports contain sections of missuse of scaffolding,including excavations, adaptions from last visit (who did them) and missuse of ladders,stairways,load bays

They (P.C.) do not like their shortcomings being highlighted in my reports.Much rather I blame the subby scaffolder outfit.When in most cases you can see it is poor management practice.

I have lost clients with my practice of putting the blame where it belongs.

It seems you have come in contact with an "in house H&S rep"

Good work, fella. There should be more like you. Unfortunately, in these austere times, there's far too many in this game happy to appease the PC's to keep themselves in a job. Maybe it's the beer flowing on this Saturday night but I feel a Marxist rant coming on.:mad:

Top Bottom