Maximum length of a Transom

Flannel

Reaction score
Never went much beyond 6 ft, got a lecture from an offshore sweaty last week saying 5 ft was as far as you can go??

Never went much beyond 6 ft, got a lecture from an offshore sweaty last week saying 5 ft was as far as you can go??

The maximum span of a transom is determined by the load imposed upon it and not a pre determined dimension.
The limiting factor is not always the transom but may be the ledger that supports it. For instance a short transom with a heavy load may fall mid span on a long span ledger and the ledger may prove to be the weak link.
regards
Alan

Last edited:
An independent, no issue with space between stndards in the length.
Load required is light but the client is painting a mural and wants lots of space.hence big transom.

work offshore myself & we build a lot of towers that are 2.1m x 2.1m & are classed as genral purpose even though i was taught that all towers should be classed as light duty unless designed, in this case the max span for light duty is 2.7m x 2.7m

Max grid I would say for that is 2.1m

work offshore myself & we build a lot of towers that are 2.1m x 2.1m & are classed as genral purpose even though i was taught that all towers should be classed as light duty unless designed, in this case the max span for light duty is 2.7m x 2.7m

Not the case, the old 8ft x 8ft grid was only ever custom and pratice which could not be adequatley proved. As a result I believe this was reduce to 2.1x2.1 in TG20. Maximum bay lenth on Independant is 2.7 for 0.75kN/mSq

Not the case, the old 8ft x 8ft grid was only ever custom and pratice which could not be adequatley proved. As a result I believe this was reduce to 2.1x2.1 in TG20. Maximum bay lenth on Independant is 2.7 for 0.75kN/mSq

We regularly built jobs 8 X 8 and unlike HSWT, even managed to get a few of them to stay up. Since the advent of TG20, was there not a severe reduction in transom size, there were some horror stories with some boy's using ladder beams as transoms for jobs 6 boards wide?

We regularly built jobs 8 X 8 and unlike HSWT, even managed to get a few of them to stay up. Since the advent of TG20, was there not a severe reduction in transom size, there were some horror stories with some boy's using ladder beams as transoms for jobs 6 boards wide?

6 boards wide beam give over lol.

like some have said it would be 2.1 unsupported but if it a birdcage you could easly use 21's for trannys but for a single with indapendant ad say it would only be 2.1 plus you inside boards if that make sence

Honestly marra, maybe I'm getting mixed up with some other restriction but in the early days of tg20 anything more than 5 boards had to be designed and a well known national contractor was using beams for 6 boards, someone will confirm.

It all depends on the loadings.

I am guessing the 6 board wide with ladder beams was a loading bay?

Not sure AxSD, it was just the boy's chatting on here I heard about it, maybe I misunderstood.

Honestly marra, maybe I'm getting mixed up with some other restriction but in the early days of tg20 anything more than 5 boards had to be designed and a well known national contractor was using beams for 6 boards, someone will confirm.

lol that twists my tash that how can we be scaffs if without a drawing you crnt make a scaffold 6ft wide i really need to read tg thing but maby w8 till after tg 13 even the crack about punching up because of the drain blew me tash off not like ti will make any diffrence to what work we do with the current employer but seem really stupid, how do the petrol chemical bpys get around every job not needing a design ?

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

It all depends on the loadings.

I am guessing the 6 board wide with ladder beams was a loading bay?

you couldent possibly use beams for out side ledger and trannys there wouldent be space to land anything on lower lifts. and to just tranny with beam to a tube outside ledger would be defeating the object?

I might need to read it myself one day marra.:laugh: The off shore boy's never bothered with all this tg stuff, they always reckoned there was a drawing floating around somewhere maybe done retrospectively but no one ever believed them.

Is it not for anything more than 2 inside, and 4 boards, that TG 20:08 requires a drawing on that sort of straight forward Independent?
Then that Appendix A and all the other types of T&F scaffolds that are classed outside of the basic scaffold structure need to be designed by calculation.
Alistair, my friend, i think i can remember the post you mention, regarding the Beam Transom, just prior to TG 20 being implemented.

PS. your still posting some good job questions and knowledgeable info, keep up the good work.

Alan Reade

"The maximum span of a transom is determined by the load imposed apon it and not a pre determined dimension."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I am soooooooo imprested will your knowledge and ability to write your answer's in concise plain English.:cool:

Keep up the good work,:D

Is it not for anything more than 2 inside, and 4 boards, that TG 20:08 requires a drawing on that sort of straight forward Independent?
Then that Appendix A and all the other types of T&F scaffolds that are classed outside of the basic scaffold structure need to be designed by calculation.
Alistair, my friend, i think i can remember the post you mention, regarding the Beam Transom, just prior to TG 20 being implemented.

PS. your still posting some good job questions and knowledgeable info, keep up the good work.

I'm really not sure now Paddy, I may have to cancel Christmas and maybe even the Ne'erday:eek: and study that damn book just in time for them to change it again.:laugh:

Top Bottom