Maximum ladder trap

guymac

Reaction score
Need an urgent response please , have to build a suspended scaffold with ladder from bottom lift to first lift . Been told the engineer is a big lot so needs a larger than normal ladder opening . What's the regs .

450mm Wide mate and can be as long as needed to meet users needs but will have to be either handrailed or trapdoor

I believe the max opening is 500mm so basically 2 boards only. Although I have worked on some sites where 3 board opening have been allowed but these have been handrailed & gated off.

put a staircase in for the fat ****

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

if your using a trapdoor you can only go as big as the door

Tell the fat **** to get on a diet....;) think the max length is 650

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Thats 650 long.. and min 450 wide ( 2 boards )

Everyone above has already quoted the regs but I would assume there is no maximum as long as it is handrailed off etc. I may be wrong.

Oh **** it.... let the fat **** struggle to get his fat ar.se thru...lol

Need an urgent response please , have to build a suspended scaffold with ladder from bottom lift to first lift . Been told the engineer is a big lot so needs a larger than normal ladder opening . What's the regs .

Hope the scaffold design takes account of the fat ba5tard5 weight

ladder gap

ladder gap has to be min 450mm wide but can be as big as required/fit for use as long as its mentioned in the risk assesment and has edge protection to stop a fall from hight :idea:

Its good practice to have protection around a ladder hatch.... but it isn't required by law...

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Its good practice to have protection around a ladder hatch.... but it isn't required by law...

I mean protection to the ladder access hole. checked this out with a HSE inspector

As long as barried off correctly can't see why you can't go bigger for the fat c**t

To be clear there is a minimum size specified in TG20:08 There is no maximum.
The minimum size is 450 wide by not less than 600 long.

it is only a guidance with regards to the opening, if you put measures in place to prevent anyone falling down the acccess, then technically you are seperating the Access from the working platform hence, heirachy of controlls.

Stick a guardrail around the opening and you should be fine mate.

The landing platforms of a access tower should be provided, where necessary, with access holes for the user which should be at least 450mm in width measured across the platform and should be as small as reasonable practicable in the other direction, but not less than 600mm long. The access hole should be adequately protected.

Just been lookin at this this morning coz I got a fat *** complaining too :) thats from TG20

Top Bottom