Max unsupported inside boards?

Mr.B

Reaction score
hi guys justa quick one whats the exact measurement for unsupported (ie, before spurring/cantilever) on inside boards. I usually go max 3 unsupported but spur for 4 or more
only ask as some of the lads at work are saying its only 2 boards/ 500mm.

anyone help witha definative answer?

cheers Mr.B

Haha, Ian Beat me to it...

As Ian says, 2 inside boards.
But loading on inside boards is only .75Kn

Alternative is to use Van Thiel type transoms which can extend 3 inside boards but again the specified loading on these will only be .75Kn. (dependent on manufacurers specification of course)

If you want to go T/F with 3 inside boards then a cantilever will be required.

You can go to 3 inside boards without spurring up, but you will need a design / calculations to prove the bending in the transoms and ledgers is adequate, typically by reducing the transom centres to 900mm, and the bay size to 1.8m, and then only for 0.75kN/m2.

cheers guys
ive been going 3 for years with no probs/ safety pick ups but will stop now.
anyone know the correct measure in mm?

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

ive even done timber frame jobs with 3 for erecting the frame then back to 2 for bricky adaptions and that was specified by the contractor

to be honest Mr.B i think we have all used 3inside boards for painters but for anything else it needs spurring up :)

Haha, Ian Beat me to it...

As Ian says, 2 inside boards.
But loading on inside boards is only .75Kn

Alternative is to use Van Thiel type transoms which can extend 3 inside boards but again the specified loading on these will only be .75Kn. (dependent on manufacurers specification of course)

If you want to go T/F with 3 inside boards then a cantilever will be required.

go on then whats a van thiel transom?

hi guys justa quick one whats the exact measurement for unsupported (ie, before spurring/cantilever) on inside boards. I usually go max 3 unsupported but spur for 4 or more
only ask as some of the lads at work are saying its only 2 boards/ 500mm.

anyone help witha definative answer?

cheers Mr.B

"lynx" wedge fixed transoms 3 boards and if you are at Lyndon's ( which you may not ) 3 as we use a different grade tube which is lighter and stronger .

Top Bottom