Mast Climber B*llax

joebag

Reaction score
had a heated debate with a bloke who was managing a big mast climber outfit in the NW,where they were tied into the building using tubes at say 20ft intervals,whatever system they were using to connect to the building was not my concern but where the tube was tied to the mast itself was a double coupler,forged and pressed,with no checks whatsoever,after i pointed this out he consulted his drawing,design and even phoned head office and guess what,no check fittings,said in all the years hed been putting them up he had never seen or put a check on,,,,,surely the distance between ties and weight put on these platforms would create a shear force that meant these ties should be checked,these mast climber outfits are aggressively marketing against scaffold firms and i for one would love to expose any weakness in this system,,,,can anyone who listened at school give me the calcs and settle this,the only reason i can think was that because most i have seen are crossed through the webbing of the mast,creating more friction on the double,,,like i said i work from the neck down thanks:wondering:

well, i say we are going to wait till one falls over and someone gets dead,then the trusty hse will get involved and come to some ridiculous answer.before taking the word of the all nowing scaffs.because we do know our job.

Check Fittings

I agree with you Joe, there should be checks just in case of a failure, it's basic scaffolding best practice. Message Alan Reade with the details, even better a photo of the job I'm sure he will give you the proper calculations.

Aren't we helping this firm out by giving them this info.? :worried:

Top Bottom