LPG /Diesel

frederik

Reaction score

Anyone use or know how lpg rates over diesle? I heard it was as good on economy,but a slight loss of power.

that is how I understand it Frederik. One of the boy's had a conversion done and it was cheaper and unless you drive like poor Colin Mcrae used too you would hardly notice the reduced power.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

What's it for, van, truck or car?

Thanks Aom,been looking at crew vans and a few lpg/petrol motors have come up.
Apart from not too many lpg pumps locally,they look ok. I met a guy years ago who ran a v8 pick up with lpg and he rated it. Wonder why its not more popular.

If memory serves there was an issue with engine wear in the early days due to the higher temperature. There has been a few pumps round here for a few years but did the government not cut the grants on offer to fit these kits?

got 1 fred had it for 7 years now its a volvo and it was factory fitted,not a conversion.
i have never had any problems whatsoever and although i could do with a newer model i cant bring myself to get rid.
best buy ive ever had

LPG/DIESEL.Get in there quick lads if you want to save money,cos you can bet that the more popular LPG becomes the price of it will rocket.Look whats happened to the price of diesel,fkin shockin.How come in the 70s diesel was as cheap as chips compared to petrol and now its fkin dearer than petrol.Anybody got any logical conclusions as to why.

The Government realised more people were getting diesel cars for the increased mileage so to offset the loses on their petrol sales they in their infinite wisdom banged a larger surcharge on diesel, hence why now diesel is around 8p a litre more

I've got a BMW 330i M-Sport converted to LPG.
There is very little loss of power due to the LPG, I don't pay the congestion charge when I work in London and in pounds and pennies it works out the same as getting 50 mpg out of a petrol car.
I also have it set up for the petrol to kick in at 5000rpm to 6500rpm which gives it the feel of a turbo.
60 000 miles and now it needs a new vapouriser which will cost me about £400 the first bit of trouble the LPG system has had.
Diesel is for vans and lorries.

Thanks Swifty. Learn something new evry day. Never new congestion charge was waved for lpg motors. Does that include vans??

if plenty people get lpg the government will just up the tax . i had a pajero running on vegetable oil ,it used to be about 19p a litre as soon as they realised it was going in cars the price went to over a quid

DONT THINK YOU WILL SEE LPG ROCKET ANYTIME SOON AND THE GOVERMENT HAS PROMISED TO KEEP IT HALF THE PRICE OF PETROL THE ( HIOW LONG THIS LAST IS BEYONE ME LOL )

CONVERSION KITS ARE FROM ABOUT £1000-3,000 ON A CAR SO ....

MPG @50

PRICE OF LPG PER LITER @£0.70P
£3.50 PER UK GALLON

PETROL PER LITER @ £1.40
£7.00 PER UK GALLON

PRICE OF CONVERSION £1,000

CONVERSION DIVIDED BY PETROL =714.2857142857143 LITERS OR 142.85714268 GALLONS

GALLONS X MPG =7,142.857134 MILES PER £1,000 OF PETROL

COST OF THE CONVERSION YOU WILL GET 7,142.857134
(7,142) MILES OUT OF YOUR CAR IF YOU STILL RUN IT ON PETROL

CONVERSION DIVIDED BY LPG = 1,482.571428571429 LITERS OR 285.7142857142857 GALLONS

GALLONS X MPG = 14,282.71428571429PER £1,000 OF LPG (14,282) MILES ON THE COST OF THE CONVERSION

SO AFTER YOU HAVE DONE 14,282 MILES ON LPG THE COST OF THE CONVERSION IS COVERD AFTER 14,282 MILES YOURS SAVING 50% ON FUEL FOR THE LIFE OF THE SYSTEM OR THE CAR

THIS IS IN THEROY AT 50MPG BUT WHICH CAR WILL DO 50PG EXACTLY OVER 14,000 MILES

SO JUST AFTER A YEAR OF THE CONVERSION KIT YOU WILL SAVE 50% THAT HALF FOR MOST SCAFFOLDERS OF YOUR FUTURE FUEL BILL
HOPE THIS HELPS IN YOUR DESISION LOL :idea:

Thanks Swifty. Learn something new evry day. Never new congestion charge was waved for lpg motors. Does that include vans??

Yes that includes vans (as long as it's on the V5) Peugeot, Vauxhall amongst others had LPG as an option on their vans.

Oh right the government have promised not to raise the price have they 1989 ?
That's alright then, rock solid dependable.
Cuz the government never break their promises do they ?!!!
(uni fees, NHS, winter fuel payments, immigration numbers etc etc etc !)

Zotsey lol 9how long this lasts is beyond me) meanign i dont trust the goverment to stick with it been half the price of petrol but they hasve bbut i have no idea how long for lol

Good table scaff 89. If I buy a used motor I must be quids in,specially as Swifty pointed out,no congestion charge. Looked at a few,but best motors seem to be in the north or Scotland.

Yeah 89 If loads start going for it and government find their losing money they will bang the price right up defo

good table scaff 89. If i buy a used motor i must be quids in,specially as swifty pointed out,no congestion charge. Looked at a few,but best motors seem to be in the north or scotland.

granted the universal lpg kits are a bit bulcky loosing ither boot space or spare tyer space (requirement for mot) but it will be a new kit done in your car you know who fitted it and you can allways go back to them and pays for its self in jusy over a year . Not sure about the congestion charges thow.... Weather the garage changes the dvla logbook to lpg or you have to to it with a certificate off the garage not sure ull have to look in to it but its the way forwud there isnt a pump in my town but the jameaters have yan up the road but means traveling 20 miles round trip to fill up lol

Top Bottom