Looking to get into scaff

barstaff

Reaction score
Hey, new to this forum so hi!

Just had a few quick questions about getting into scaff - what legally do i need, and what are the firms looking for?

im 21, from bristol, been working bars since 18, looking for a change in scenery really...

done a bit of work with my mates dads company.

any info would be apreciated,,

cheers :blink:

Try and get a start on a scaffolders firm as a labourer/trainee and get the firm to put you through your cards. They will prob tie you in for 3 year. Otherwise your paying for your tickets yourself and you still need a job.
Do you have a CISRS Labourers card from when you worked at the scaffolding firm ?

ah right, would it be worth getting a cscs card or anything like that beforehand? Dont have any other paperwork mind

Hello mate.
Nice to see some fresh blood wanting to come into the game.

Would it be worth getting a cscs card or anything like that beforehand?
I would yes.
As soon as your registered, you'll be able to work on most building sites, which will massively increase your job opportunities.

Here is the link for some handy sites for you:

I would then phone about various Scaffolding companies in your area, asking for jobs as a labourer or even starting in the yard, for a small amount of time, before moving to work out on site.
Reason being as working in the yard, as low paid and poxxy as it does seem, will give you a gist of what the weight and handling of the tube and boards you'll be carrying daily once out on site and an idea for the names and uses of the many types of fittings that you'll be using also.

Starting as a labourer you'll need to be physically fit and fairly strong as you'll be expected to run about with tube/boards and fittings most of the day.
Id also make it a priority to learn all the types of rope knotts that Scaffolders use, for when/if you do any rope and wheel work. - This will give you an immediate advantage.
(You'd be surprised how many 'Scaffolders' cant tie a tube off...)

Rope Knots:
  • Clove Hitch - More commonly used instead of the proper 'Rolling Hitch'. (Used for tying tubes off.)
  • Timber Hitch - (Used for tying boards off.)
  • Figure of 8 - (Used to make a 'tail' or overhang in the rope, to stop the rope coming completely through the wheel.)
  • Half Hitch - (Used for tying off bags, with or without loops.)
Theres other knots, but these are the basics.

If you want, ask around this forum what kind of money you should ask for, as a start.
Dont let the bosses mug you off, with £30 a day or something silly like that, as we all know they love to stripe people up, when it comes to how much they pay in wages.

Maybe (depending in where your working - London wages are usually more, due to cost of living and such):
  • £50 a day for a yard worker.
  • £60-£80 a day for a Scaffold Labourer.

These are just figures off the top of my head, dont quote me on it, if you can get more then its all good. :cool:

Then with a little luck you'll fit in nicely and you'll be paired up with a decent old Scaffolder and he'll teach you the ropes and - viola you'll be a Scaffolder in a no time.

I hope this helps.
Good luck mate.

Jay.

Yeah register and get a labourers card.
As above, hopefully you'll get put with good squad and they will teach you and obviously you will have to do your courses at an accredited centre to gain your scaffolders cards. Hopefully whichever firm you work for will pay and put you through, otherwise you will have to pay for them yourself.
When you have your Labourers card you do 6 month labouring, then you can do your part 1 scaffolding. Go back on site working as a labourer/trainee scaffolder for another 6 months minimum then do your part 2. After a further year minimum you can do your advanced.
Good luck pal

Last edited:
I am amazed people out there still want to be scaffolders! I have never felt the game being this "sh*te", on most sites anyway. Double lanyards, tethered tools, the fecking scaff step, drawings for jobs smaller than a stillage... ah man...

Try street firms as you will be free from this bondage and learn fast.

Spoken like a true scaff spanner bitch , get on the street work,
away from a lot of the bull sh it

dont do it

lol , was thinking that myself :bigsmile:

I had no choice really as i was born into it , but , as has been mentioned by others , try and get in with a street firm if you can as we don`t get the hassle that the bigger outfits get .

The first 4 - 6 weeks are the worst , but , once through that initial period it becomes a lot easier .

Good luck with it

thanks for the replies! yeah was thinking the smaller firms, dont really fancy being stuck on a site for how ever many weeks at a time..

will try sus something out and see what happens !

Top Bottom